Unusual G.Rosea behaviour or pre molt?

Kitpill

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys

Hoping someone can shed some light on a behaviour I've just observed from my G.Rosea. I'll describe what I initially thought was her getting ready to molt and why I no longer suspect this is the case. She was observed on her back as if ready to molt but instead of being on top of her web to she had covered herself up to her abdomen with a fine layer of web, it literally looked like she had made a blanket to tuck her self into. She also was moving her pedipalps and I could see her breathing. Thinking nothing of this and shrugging it off has just a weird pre molt behaviour I have come back to find her up right and out of her web blanket as if nothing had happened. Further to this it has occurred to me she only ate yesterday and this is not right for pre molt behaviour as well. Does anyone have any idea what this behaviour was?

Cheers in advance

Kitpill

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Please post some pics of the G. rosea and the webbing. It sounds like what a mature male does when loading his pedi palps with sperm. They make a web, crawl into it upside down deposit sperm on it from their genital openings and suck it up into the hypodermic like emboli for mating

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree it sounds like a mature male making and utilising a sperm web.

Kitpill

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the poor quality image. Does that look like the right behaviour? If so looks like I have to refer to her as a him from now on.

Kitpill

Arachnopeon
Awww, sold as wrong sex. Well looks like the old boys got a shorter life span than expected. Thank you all for your help. First time posting and made up with everyone's quick responses and knowledge.

Cheers again

Leila

Arachnobaron
Awww, sold as wrong sex. Well looks like the old boys got a shorter life span than expected. Thank you all for your help. First time posting and made up with everyone's quick responses and knowledge.

Cheers again
Same thing happened to me with my first tarantula. I was clueless about sexing Ts and did not know my G. porteri was a male (he was sold to me as a female....) until he portrayed the same 'odd behavior' you photographed above.

I was pretty bummed out initially too. I'd expected a longer life out of my first tarantula. Well, 6 months after the molt that deemed him a mature male, my guy is still alive and well. He just ate a fat cricket last week. :) Yours might very well have quite a bit of kick left in him too! :cat:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Alot of scummy dealers pull that on beginners.

Cheers again

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
He is getting loaded up to go punch some girlie spiderbits
Hahahahaha! Uhm.... I just had a thought. What would it be like if humans procreated in the same way? Going out on town with fistfuls of semen... So, so wrong on so, so many levels. I apologize.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
you've got a MM there pal, it was a sperm web he'd made, loading up his bulbous pedipalps, hope you find him a MF to allow them to do what spiders do.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I would contact seller if this was sold as a female.
It's the difference in having your T for at most a couple of years vs enjoying one for 30 years.
A MM's purpose in life is to mate before dying.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hahahahaha! Uhm.... I just had a thought. What would it be like if humans procreated in the same way? Going out on town with fistfuls of semen... So, so wrong on so, so many levels. I apologize.
If you think that's nasty...how about the girl you courted ripping your head of after....'i got what I need, thankyouverymuchbye!'. :D
Or girls passing the boy around like 'hey, you want him? I'm already pregnant but he's good to go a few more times' :rofl:

Okay...I'll just show myself out now...:shy:

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
If you think that's nasty...how about the girl you courted ripping your head of after....'i got what I need, thankyouverymuchbye!'. :D
Or girls passing the boy around like 'hey, you want him? I'm already pregnant but he's good to go a few more times' :rofl:

Okay...I'll just show myself out now...:shy:
Hahaha, and to think I was bracing myself for angry comments from the ladies on these boards...

TarantulaCollective

the_tarantula_collective
I had that happen recently to me as well with a different species. It was sold to me as a female but after the first molt I verified it was in fact a male. It was a bummer and I learned not to do business with them in the future. I dont think it was an intentional scam, they just didnt have the level of knowledge needed to accurately sex. Plus side is that maybe in the future I will find someone looking for a MM to mate with and get some slings from all of this.