unusual behavior

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last night while checking on, and observing my Ts, I noticed my Salmon Pink walking along on the side of the enclosure, with chelicerae spread, fangs out, apparently trying to bite into the plastic. She's in a walmart clear jar with screw-on lid. Have not noticed this behavior before, and she did this for maybe 15 min and quit. Tonight she happily munched a crix and seems back to normal. Anyone have an idea what this behavior was, if anything? Anyone else noticed this behavior with their Ts? She has been in these types of jars since I got her as a sling, and always seemed well acclimated to them, she has a hide of bark, and plenty of bedding, and her moss is on the dry side, with occasional misting.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have seen this off and on. I have had Ts try to bite out the screen vent caps. Bite my custom holes I made in a container I was houseing it in. I guess they are trying to remodel something they cant. I dont really know if there is an actual reason they decide to do that.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last night while checking on, and observing my Ts, I noticed my Salmon Pink walking along on the side of the enclosure, with chelicerae spread, fangs out, apparently trying to bite into the plastic. She's in a walmart clear jar with screw-on lid. Have not noticed this behavior before, and she did this for maybe 15 min and quit. Tonight she happily munched a crix and seems back to normal. Anyone have an idea what this behavior was, if anything? Anyone else noticed this behavior with their Ts? She has been in these types of jars since I got her as a sling, and always seemed well acclimated to them, she has a hide of bark, and plenty of bedding, and her moss is on the dry side, with occasional misting.
could i see a picture of the enclosure? a jar seems rather small for a terrestrial.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jar

No pic, but its a clear plastic jar about maybe 6 inch round and about a foot tall with a screw-on lid. They sell at walmart for around 2-3 dollars.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally have never seen any of my Ts do that unless they are trying to bite through something or angry at me. Sounds really wierd to me. A pic would be awesome though.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
remodeling

Coluld be I suppose, she sometimes rearranges her peat moss into different areas around her hide. But its the first time she has used her fangs on the plastic.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Coluld be I suppose, she sometimes rearranges her peat moss into different areas around her hide. But its the first time she has used her fangs on the plastic.
That would make sense too, but did she have substrate in her mouth?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pic

Novak, I dont have a camera, sorry, and she hasnt done that behavior since. I could borrow a camera from my sister and take a pic of the jar she's in. I know there are keepers who like large enclosures for terrestrials, but she hasnt acted like shes pacing because of lack of room.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
moss in mouth

No, no moss was in her mouth, she was simply spreading her fangs wide, biting at the plastic, and then letting her fangs relax, then biting again, making a loud rasping noise. And after a while of that she apparently gave up.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Even my adults have been caught doing that, I dont think its much to worry about. I have seen a few break fangs doing that, so now when I see them doing it I distract them and try to keep them from doing it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, no moss was in her mouth, she was simply spreading her fangs wide, biting at the plastic, and then letting her fangs relax, then biting again, making a loud rasping noise. And after a while of that she apparently gave up.
Yeah, she was definately just trying to escape or atleast try to find away to escape.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
escape

Is she unhappy with her enclosure, not enough substrate, hide etc? Not enough space? or do larger (6 inch plus) Ts try to escape once in a while?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All Ts try to escape at night because that's usually when they wonder so they are trying to go beyond their limits.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
speaking of pink salmon, that's what i'm about to have for dinner. MmmmmM

ok off topic i know. haha