Unsure if T molted??

LunarB

Arachnopeon
My probably around 3 in B Albo hasnt been fed in 2 months now because I can't figure out if he's molted or not. When we got him(new years eve), he was very plump, and most likely close to molting. But he's been completely burrowed, with only a opening at the very bottom of the enclosure, which no matter how hard I try, I can only see little feet every once in a while. Even though I'm awarw T's can last a while without food, it still worries me, at the same time I dont wanna drop in a cricket if it'll injure his fangs.. should i try to carefully get him out of his burrow to see if hes molted, or just leave him for a little while longer? any suggestions?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
should i try to carefully get him out of his burrow to see if hes molted, or just leave him for a little while longer?
Has it been sealed in for the whole 2 months? If not, when was it last out?

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I imagine you could smash the head then separate & leave the soft belly parts at the entrance & see if it takes them.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
My probably around 3 in B Albo hasnt been fed in 2 months now because I can't figure out if he's molted or not. When we got him(new years eve), he was very plump, and most likely close to molting. But he's been completely burrowed, with only a opening at the very bottom of the enclosure, which no matter how hard I try, I can only see little feet every once in a while. Even though I'm awarw T's can last a while without food, it still worries me, at the same time I dont wanna drop in a cricket if it'll injure his fangs.. should i try to carefully get him out of his burrow to see if hes molted, or just leave him for a little while longer? any suggestions?
Moulting is a process that might take a while. It will come out and display "hunting behaviour" when it´s hungry.

I imagine you could smash the head then separate & leave the soft belly parts at the entrance & see if it takes them.
A tarantula of that size is highly unlikely to accept pre-killed prey.

LunarB

Arachnopeon
Has it been sealed in for the whole 2 months? If not, when was it last out?
The last time it was actually outside of its burrow was sometime in January. But the last time I saw it(from a bigger opening in the substrate) was probably around Valentine's day.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I do not have much experience yet, but I noticed that my spiders are way less active and eating less in winter. The room temperature is currently around 65 during the night. Could it be that your spider's molting process is just taking longer because it is colder in the room you keep it in? My 2" L. parahybana is in premolt for a couple of weeks now, hiding in its burrow just like your Brachypelma. Perhaps increasing the temperature somewhat will make your T more hungry.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do not have much experience yet, but I noticed that my spiders are way less active and eating less in winter. The room temperature is currently around 65 during the night. Could it be that your spider's molting process is just taking longer because it is colder in the room you keep it in? My 2" L. parahybana is in premolt for a couple of weeks now, hiding in its burrow just like your Brachypelma. Perhaps increasing the temperature somewhat will make your T more hungry.
Well, among other things to consider, they can act a bit sluggish in Winter if the temperatures are a bit on the 'colder' side.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Indeed, you should not be too worried about your tarantula. Usually one after another molts as soon as the temp goes up in spring.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
First off, keep giving it water.

It also won't be that big of a deal if you take a piece of a crushed up cricket and place it near the burrow entrance. Don't overthink this too much. ;)