Unsure ID

spiderspit

Arachnopeon
Hello!
While doing some housework I found a friend that likely came in due to the cold weather.
I've made a small lodge for this little dude out of a deli cup and have been giving it some small feeder crickets and fruitflies. To me it looks like a small/juvenile p. audax but the shape seems off and I can't make out it's eyes. Maybe I'm way off on this ID, but I'd appreciate anyone with sharper arachnodetective skills.
Some additional information : found in SE Michigan, size is about 1/4inch DLS. 20211026_125832.jpg 20211026_125842.jpg 20211026_110703.jpg

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Hello!
While doing some housework I found a friend that likely came in due to the cold weather.
I've made a small lodge for this little dude out of a deli cup and have been giving it some small feeder crickets and fruitflies. To me it looks like a small/juvenile p. audax but the shape seems off and I can't make out it's eyes. Maybe I'm way off on this ID, but I'd appreciate anyone with sharper arachnodetective skills.
Some additional information : found in SE Michigan, size is about 1/4inch DLS. View attachment 402521 View attachment 402522 View attachment 402523
I think Castianeira genus

spiderspit

Arachnopeon
I think Castianeira genus
I could see that for sure. This spider has given me a couple of majestic leaps which I didn't know Castianeira genus particularly did.
I hope the spider appreciates being able to avoid the frost for a couple months :):::

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
It’s actually a misconception that Jumping Spiders are the only spiders that can jump. They are called “Jumping Spiders” because they jump onto their prey, and generally just jump a lot, NOT because they are the only spiders that can jump. Many other types of spiders can jump too! 😃

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
It’s actually a misconception that Jumping Spiders are the only spiders that can jump. They are called “Jumping Spiders” because they jump onto their prey, and generally just jump a lot, NOT because they are the only spiders that can jump. Many other types of spiders can jump too! 😃
Yes. Jumping spider use there jumping ability as a hunting method but many other spiders bolt and jump to flee from danger. Spiders are fascinating. The Castianeira genus is incredible. Some species have patterns so that they mimic velvet ants(ground wasps) they also mimic ants. Amyciaea Is a genus of ant mimicking crab spiders and Myrmarachne is a genus of ant mimicking jumping spiders. A great book to read is Spiders of the World: A Natural History by Norman I. Platnick and Common Spiders of North America by Richard A. Bradley

Last edited:

spiderspit

Arachnopeon
Yes. Jumping spider use there jumping ability as a hunting method but many other spiders bolt and jump to flee from danger. Spiders are fascinating. The Castianeira genus is incredible. Some species have patterns so that they mimic velvet ants(ground wasps) they also mimic ants. Amyciaea Is a genus of ant mimicking crab spiders and Myrmarachne is a genus of ant mimicking jumping spiders. A great book to read is Spiders of the World: A Natural History by Norman I. Platnick and Common Spiders of North America by Richard A. Bradley
I wholeheartedly agree Castianeria are an interesting genus after "multitasking" at work and doing some super light online research. I'll look into the suggested reading since my true spider specific knowledge is pretty limited. Thank you !

spiderspit

Arachnopeon
Definitely! I'm feeling a little silly to think that the spider was p. audax because of the markings and pouncy behavior. I suppose I was thinking "I've never seen them as little guys, maybe they have weird looking heads" xD
I'm suprised how active this small guy is during his/her hunting hours.
It's difficult to not be a fan of every encountered spider.