Unsexed slings?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is something that has been bothering me for awhile now. When I tarantula is over 2 inches, aren't they somewhat easier to sex? Like a 3" A. geniculata. Even if you didn't have a molt, shouldn't an experienced breeder be able to tell? I see listings for unsexed T's over 2" (L. parahybanas at 3", or a Genic. at 3") and I am wondering if the breeder knows it's a male and just sells it as "unsexed"? Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, thats my hunch. I wouldn't ever buy even a 2" sling as unsexed. You stand way too great a chance of it being male for my liking.

I do wonder if sometimes its that they have a bunch of slings/juvies and for sake of ease, just call them all unsexed rather than go through and pick out females.

That said, I live by my first assertion

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's both. Either the person is too lazy or doesn't want to sex it, or they know it's male and don't want to take the hit financially.

If you buy something over 2" and it's listed as unsexed, just assume it's male. That way if it turns out female, you are pleasantly surprised.

Edit: What's with us all being in Florida? :}

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno! Are you guys going to repticon in Orlando this weekend? I want a dang female L. parahybana! lol. I bought a 3" unsexed A. geniculata from Mark a few weeks ago, and I posted the pictures in the sexing area. Maybe I should take a new picture tonight and let you guys tell me what you think. I just sexed my smithi's molt and it looks pretty male... :'(.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
There is something that has been bothering me for awhile now. When I tarantula is over 2 inches, aren't they somewhat easier to sex? Like a 3" A. geniculata. Even if you didn't have a molt, shouldn't an experienced breeder be able to tell? I see listings for unsexed T's over 2" (L. parahybanas at 3", or a Genic. at 3") and I am wondering if the breeder knows it's a male and just sells it as "unsexed"? Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
Tarantulas over 2.5" are easier to sex ventrally BUT its not 100% accurate. So selling a sexed tarantula when you are not 100% sure is bad. Its always good to ask the seller his honest opinion about the "sex" of an "unsexed" sling or juvies for sale. Some would try to be sneaky with it but I know alot of people here in AB that are still very honest. Infact (but I wont name names - just PM me if u want the names), I bought 5 unsexed slings and I ended up having 2 females and 3 males. I also bought from another seller and I ended up with almost proportional male to female ratio. It all boils down to you buying from a reputable seller. (Just my 2 cents....)

Mike

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mike,

The unsexed 'slings' you bought - how big were they?

Also, what's an A. albopilosum? Been meaning to ask but keep forgetting.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a 3" unsexed A. geniculata from Mark a few weeks ago, and I posted the pictures in the sexing area.
Just checked out your pics and I gotta say, it looks female. Others can chime in with more expertise but to me it looks like you got lucky :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just checked out your pics and I gotta say, it looks female. Others can chime in with more expertise but to me it looks like you got lucky :)
Mark has great feedback, and is an awesome guy on the phone. I am not questioning him so much as I am questioning the practice of selling T's as "unsexed". I am really hoping it is indeed a female, as I was let down to find that "Charlotte" is actually Charlie" today, but I got him as a 1" sling. I am taking the molt to work tomorrow and sexing it with my 10x scope.

Hey xhexdx, do you know of anyone going to repticon this weekend? I am not sure how far of a drive it is for you...

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was let down to find that "Charlotte" is actually Charlie" today, but I got him as a 1" sling. I am taking the molt to work tomorrow and sexing it with my 10x scope.
That sucks, what species is Charlie?

EDIT: oh, is that your smithi?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AWESOME! I will post a better pic later just to be sure. do you ever go to the orlando or Gainseville area guys?

Charlie :( is my B. smithi.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AWESOME! I will post a better pic later just to be sure. do you ever go to the orlando or Gainseville area guys?

Charlie :( is my B. smithi.
Just an excuse to get another T :D

I have family in the orlando area but I don't get up there too often. I'd love to go to a repticon sometime. May go the next time it comes down here....

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not in Orlando too often; never even been to Gainesville.

I'm not going to the show this weekend. Our baby shower is Saturday and on Sunday we're buying all the supplies to remodel the master bathroom. That, and there isn't anything I really need at the shows nowadays anyway.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just an excuse to get another T :D

I have family in the orlando area but I don't get up there too often. I'd love to go to a repticon sometime. May go the next time it comes down here....
The one in Tampa SUCKED. I am going to the one in Orlando Saturday looking for L. parahybana slings. AND G. pulchra slings....and maybe a gbb......

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one in Tampa SUCKED. I am going to the one in Orlando Saturday looking for L. parahybana slings. AND G. pulchra slings....and maybe a gbb......
It sucked for Ts or it sucked in general? They have it in Miami but I haven't been yet (or any expo for that fact). I want to go but I doubt I'd find any Ts on my collection list.....

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not in Orlando too often; never even been to Gainesville.

I'm not going to the show this weekend. Our baby shower is Saturday and on Sunday we're buying all the supplies to remodel the master bathroom. That, and there isn't anything I really need at the shows nowadays anyway.
Oh Congrats! Baby showers aren't fun for guys, so I hope you go out with your friends lol. I might end up getting an adult female Lp on here, but I really want a 3" female so I can watch her grow :)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

It sucked for Ts or it sucked in general? They have it in Miami but I haven't been yet (or any expo for that fact). I want to go but I doubt I'd find any Ts on my collection list.....
It was really small. I was pretty bummed and bought NOTHING. Well I'm off to grab dinner and groceries with the g/f. Will post pics later.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's both. Either the person is too lazy or doesn't want to sex it, or they know it's male and don't want to take the hit financially.

If you buy something over 2" and it's listed as unsexed, just assume it's male. That way if it turns out female, you are pleasantly surprised.

I Agree with him, as I told you before...thats fishy ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh Congrats! Baby showers aren't fun for guys, so I hope you go out with your friends lol.
Thanks.

She didn't want the typical baby shower, so we're just having a big party with all our friends. :)

It was really small. I was pretty bummed and bought NOTHING.
Don't expect much out of the Orlando show either.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I Agree with him, as I told you before...thats fishy ;)
I didn't doubt you Fran :) however, if my A. Geniculata is indeed a female, that should restore my faith in people somewhat. I want a Lp in a bad way.... I'm addicted....

Xhexdx, that's an awesome idea for a baby shower! I suffered through my best friend's shower and I needed a beer to put it out of my head lol.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The shower was Ms. X's idea, not mine. I'm just the father, along for the ride. :}