Unsexed slings?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I noticed this especially with pokies. there are a few in the FS section that seem to "fishy" for me.

now I know people like KTBG, swifty, and a few others...if they are selling unsexed it is. They just deal with so many spiders they simply cannot sex them all and run a business.

but when you see a private seller offering things like pokies that are 3 inches and seems to be to goo to be true. it most likely is. pokies are sexable ventrally at 1 inch. This has been proven.

Hell I sexed 3 p. miranda slings yesterday at 3/4 inch. and I can bet money they are what I said they are.

basically it boils down to species, and laziness and untrustworthy people.

like said, by them as male and hope for female.:eek:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I fail to see the concern over male or female, it seems a compulsion with some people and taken as a negative if it turns out to be male. Males have a role in this breeding malarky, without them there's no more spids, and considering the ratio of male to female is strongly in favour of the male Im curious why so many people are surprised or upset there's T turned into a male.

I rarely bother sexing any of my Ts until they get late in the juvenile stage, possibly not til they finally mature. If its female then great I got a T for at least another decade. If its male then its time to look for partnering with females, send him out and possibly get 50% of any resulting slings. How bad is that! Alternatively buy a female to match.

Numerous times I found myself in want for a male (L. violaceopes, GBB, P. regalis) that is in his prime as a MM.

The funniest part of it is so many people purchase a sling, and sell it way before it reaches maturity. Do we all buy Aphonopelma and Brachypelma slings hoping that in 5-8 years they'll be female or do we sell them off way before that?

Give males a chance!

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

pokies are sexable ventrally at 1 inch. This has been proven.
Ive heard and read this, but so far not been able to do so myself accurately. Do you have any links, coz I got a bunch of pokie slings (miranda, regalis, striata and pederseni) over 1" that I'd love to test this out on.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I fail to see the concern over male or female, it seems a compulsion with some people and taken as a negative if it turns out to be male. Males have a role in this breeding malarky, without them there's no more spids, and considering the ratio of male to female is strongly in favour of the male Im curious why so many people are surprised or upset there's T turned into a male.

I rarely bother sexing any of my Ts until they get late in the juvenile stage, possibly not til they finally mature. If its female then great I got a T for at least another decade. If its male then its time to look for partnering with females, send him out and possibly get 50% of any resulting slings. How bad is that! Alternatively buy a female to match.

Numerous times I found myself in want for a male (L. violaceopes, GBB, P. regalis) that is in his prime as a MM.

The funniest part of it is so many people purchase a sling, and sell it way before it reaches maturity. Do we all buy Aphonopelma and Brachypelma slings hoping that in 5-8 years they'll be female or do we sell them off way before that?

Give males a chance!

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Ive heard and read this, but so far not been able to do so myself accurately. Do you have any links, coz I got a bunch of pokie slings (miranda, regalis, striata and pederseni) over 1" that I'd love to test this out on.
Interesting points! I guess I like larger T's and I want to be able to leave it in my will?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But of course people preffer females. I do too, in general.

Females are larger, bulkier,live much longer and can have spiderlings...Its flat out simple to me why we tend to preffer females.

Males have his value, of course. Without them we couldnt have more spiders; thats obvious. But for the regular keeper that will not be a serious breeder or not a breeder at all, why would you want a male since you know its gonna die rather soon?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But of course people preffer females. I do too, in general.

Females are larger, bulkier,live much longer and can have spiderlings...Its flat out simple to me why we tend to preffer females.

Males have his value, of course. Without them we couldnt have more spiders; thats obvious. But for the regular keeper that will not be a serious breeder or not a breeder at all, why would you want a male since you know its gonna die rather soon?
Very well put! I love the bulky look the females have. Like hamsters with eight legs lol.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But for the regular keeper that will not be a serious breeder or not a breeder at all, why would you want a male since you know its gonna die rather soon?
Because, dieing rather soon is another of those things that gets shoved around as a negative. With many species, especially the beginner species, the time frame is far from "soon". How long would you expect a 1yr old from the likes of Brachypelma, Aphonopelma or Grammostola to reach maturity? And how long after that would you expect it to die? I'd wager their lifespan is much more than many lizards, rodents, frogs, inverts, birds etc.

The point I'm making isnt down to preference, we'd all like and mostly seek females. Its that the males shouldnt always be considered a negative, a mistake in purchase, a waste etc.

I have a B. smithi male, sexed him because I had an AF, he's about 4", but I decided waiting another couple of years (perhaps) for him to mature was a wait too long. So, I sold the female, and one day I'll be finding him a suitor, not tomorrow, not next week or next month, probably not next year, but one day. :)