Unsexed Aphonopelma tapping= female?

aphono

Arachnobaron
Pretty much what the title says. There's a 3"ish unsexed A. moderatum that has been enthusiastically coming out of burrow and tapping almost every time the enclosure is touched or handled. Also if I mimic it by tapping the enclosure it responds with more frequent tapping & walking all over the enclosure as if she was seeking the male it was responding to.

Is this behavior a good indicator of it being a female and sexually mature? As for the sexually mature bit, this would surprise me as I assumed it was still a juvenile.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
To me, it sounds like a mature male as well. Could you post a clear picture of its pedipalps?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My thoughts turn to it maybe being a MM as well. Do you happen to have this T housed around any mature female Ts, OP? Agree that pics would be useful. Or maybe even a video of the behavior, if you can get it!

My highest success rates are with freshly matured females.
That's interesting, I'd have thought freshly mature females would bare less success than older, larger ones! Any theories as to why you get more success with them?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
If its a mature male it should be blatantly obvious as the males look nothing like the females.

Later, Tom

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Immature specimens will sometimes tap, the ones that spring to mind that I've noticed this with are my SAF A. geniculata and SAM P. metallica.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Over the years I have also witnessed immatures of different species tap and/or vibrate. Not often though.