Unplanned pet!

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Welll, today my mom got my sister a new pet, but that wasn’t the plan! She saw one for sale and since my sister really liked them, she bought it! A brand new hedgehog
35F6DF4E-E58F-414F-BBC3-860332813E11.jpeg anyone with experience keeping these, got any tips to share?

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
They're pretty cute, can't say I know much about them since they were legalized around 2016 in my state and cost hundreds.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They often carry fungi that can infect humans

Have it tested. I am not joking this time.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Welll, today my mom got my sister a new pet, but that wasn’t the plan! She saw one for sale and since my sister really liked them, she bought it! A brand new hedgehog
View attachment 435166 anyone with experience keeping these, got any tips to share?

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
View attachment 435166 anyone with experience keeping these, got any tips to share?
You gotta make sure they’re no where near any wind draft. Also you’re gonna need a heat lamp. Grain free cat food like blue buffalo or around those brands and mealworms and insects. Nice I’ve been wanting one but I have a zoo already and my squirrel is a handful.
Also it be ideal if you also get a tortoise box to keep out during summer days during the day. Then again idk where you live and if it’s ideal in your area. They come from Africa so you have to keep them around 78-90 degrees.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
You gotta make sure they’re no where near any wind draft. Also you’re gonna need a heat lamp. Grain free cat food like blue buffalo or around those brands and mealworms and insects. Nice I’ve been wanting one but I have a zoo already and my squirrel is a handful.
Also it be ideal if you also get a tortoise box to keep out during summer days during the day. Then again idk where you live and if it’s ideal in your area. They come from Africa so you have to keep them around 78-90 degrees.
Thank you, I’ll let my family know that. Good thing I have a colony of both meal and super worms. What do the tortoise boxes actually do

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Thank you, I’ll let my family know that. Good thing I have a colony of both meal and super worms. What do the tortoise boxes actually do
Tortoises boxes are like enclosures for your rouses has like a den to protect it from direct sunlight and then the rest has wire on top so that the tortoise can get direct sunlight. Just a reason I think it would be good but also like all animals supervision as well wouldn’t want your heftier roasting in the summer heat.
I think chewy and petsmart have actual hedgehog food but I’m not too sure on nutrItional value so just google stuff up.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Tortoises boxes are like enclosures for your rouses has like a den to protect it from direct sunlight and then the rest has wire on top so that the tortoise can get direct sunlight. Just a reason I think it would be good but also like all animals supervision as well wouldn’t want your heftier roasting in the summer heat.
I think chewy and petsmart have actual hedgehog food but I’m not too sure on nutrItional value so just google stuff up.
All right I’ll see if my local pet stores have a tortoise box. And we were told to feed him high quality cat food and insects

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Yeah but I’ve had plenty of wildlife before. Still don’t listen to those articles. Neither do I listen to people saying you’re gonna get rabies. As long as you wash your hands before and after it’s fine.
I generally don’t either, however a lot of that information is accurate. My mom is a vet tech that works with almost exclusively exotic animals. I trust her word over any article, so when she affirms the info? Yeah it’s legit. And I agree about washing hands and such, but you can’t wash ringworm off lol and let’s be honest, how many people legitimately wash their hands after they mess with an animal? I would venture to say a very low percentage.

People who spout rabies propaganda are idiots

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I generally don’t either, however a lot of that information is accurate. My mom is a vet tech that works with almost exclusively exotic animals. I trust her word over any article, so when she affirms the info? Yeah it’s legit. And I agree about washing hands and such, but you can’t wash ringworm off lol and let’s be honest, how many people legitimately wash their hands after they mess with an animal? I would venture to say a very low percentage.

People who spout rabies propaganda are idiots
Ringworm isn’t as bad. My dog had it al it was I washed her stuff regularly and went all natural. Idk why people don’t do it freaking coconut oil works. I bathed her once a week and then once completely dry I would lather her with coconut oil. Left it on her until her next bath. Did that for two weeks and it was gone. Then a nephew of mine I didn’t know had it and I had him in a headlock and I got one aha. Right away put coconut oil within a week it was completely gone. Yet it took my sister lousy meds to try to get rid of it and until I got tired and said here and dabbed my nephew with it. Gone. Aha, so keep in mind coconut oil has anti fungal proprieties. Just in case anyone needs to hear it.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Ringworm isn’t as bad. My dog had it al it was I washed her stuff regularly and went all natural. Idk why people don’t do it freaking coconut oil works. I bathed her once a week and then once completely dry I would lather her with coconut oil. Left it on her until her next bath. Did that for two weeks and it was gone. Then a nephew of mine I didn’t know had it and I had him in a headlock and I got one aha. Right away put coconut oil within a week it was completely gone. Yet it took my sister lousy meds to try to get rid of it and until I got tired and said here and dabbed my nephew with it. Gone. Aha, so keep in mind coconut oil has anti fungal proprieties. Just in case anyone needs to hear it.
Thank you for knowing this lol. There are a lot of homeopathic remedies people write off that work so much better than what big pharma wants to push xD

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Thank you for knowing this lol. There are a lot of homeopathic remedies people write off that work so much better than what big pharma wants to push xD
Yeah, at first I was like hmm. Then I tried it and said oh snap. It works. Haha, so I saved money plus coconut oil is good for the dogs. Both to eat and their skin. Cats like it in their food and they’re usually the pickiest of eaters.