unpacking slings

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i finally ordered my first slings. ive been in the hobby a bit over a year, but have only purchased adult and sub adult ts. i just ordered 5 usambara slings, and i got to wondering, how do you transfer a speedy 3/4 inch sling from its shipping vile to its home? i have several large vials to use for housing until they are a bit larger, what is the best way to transfewr them with the lowest risk for an escapee?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I unpack spiderlings I open the lid and then I pop out the top plug of cotton or paper or whatever is packing them in. Then I basically dump them out into their new vial. It always works smashingly.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Tools: Prongs or bent paperclip.
Jar.
New vial filled with substrate.
Cap.

place the vial in the bathtub, make sure the drain is closed. Open the old and new vials, put them next to each other, lightly prod the sling over the top and into the new one, close the cap. What you do not want is these things getting on you. they are 3/4 and can be extremely fast. they are also brown. If one gets on your clothes chances are you will crush it searching for it, so its important to do this naked.

-V

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Slings are fast but they aren't that fast, and they're not exactly bright either. My method is to work out in the middle of light colored area (in my case, the rug) along with some empty tupperware, kritterkeepers, etc. to corral any runaways. Then I just use a paintbrush to herd the new sling from their shipping vial to their new home.

They'll pretty much go where you herd them, and worst case scenario is you calmly herd them back down off your arm or from the carpet into a vial. They, just like adults, can only run for a short period of time, when you're 1/2" or so, that's not that far. I've had slings take off but they all halt within about 5 or 6 feet, usually less.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're worried about an escape, you can perform the whole operation over the bathtub. I hear they're not the quickest on porceline. My s'ling made it really easy for me: I removed the lid from the vial, i held it horrizontally, and he crawled from that into his new home.
Paul

Vayu Son

Old Timer
CM

Its the OW arboreals that are a pain in the ass. They will run off up your shirt arm and stop on your body and they are light enough that you cannot feel them. sooner or later its onto the floor and under a dresser, and then freedom.

-V