Unoticed pre molt

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a P cambridgei that just molted what I think seems to be last night. But the problem ( or just my issue) is that when he was out last night and the previous days his abdomen was regular size it wasn't anywhere near a fat abdomen pre - molt.

So my question is do aboreals (speficially the Psalmopoeus genus) HAVE to have a fat abdomen to molt?

because as i said above...mine had a regular /average sized abdomen but still molted and he didn't have any injuries at all or missing limbs etc.

So what could have made this guy/ girl molt?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he was out last night and the previous days his abdomen was regular size it wasn't anywhere near a fat abdomen pre - molt.

So my question is do aboreals (speficially the Psalmopoeus genus) HAVE to have a fat abdomen to molt?

because as i said above...mine had a regular /average sized abdomen but still molted and he didn't have any injuries at all or missing limbs etc.

i'm certainly no expert but i wasn't aware of a fat or larger than normal abdomen ever being a sign of pre-molt and much less a requirement to molt. i assumed the size of the abdomen was directly related to how much they eat or if a female is gravid and of course, some species get a bigger booty than others. i would guess that your T molted simply because it was time. i would be curious to learn what more experienced people have to say.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Fat abdomen means nothing. Not eating is more important. P. cambridgei also grow at an incredible rate, and quite short pre-molt times. Its quite possible to miss it.

-Sean