Unknown Spider: Need ID (Possibly in the same family as widows?)

jess578

Arachnopeon
I found this spider in the small cricket bin at the pet store I work at (prime real estate for spider!). When I looked in I saw the same profile as a widow, but unfortunately when I got it into a container to look at it, it doesn't look like that's the case.

It's abdomen is about 5 mm across, it's very docile and relies on its web mostly. I can't give you an exact point of origin since it might have been shipped in with the crickets and I don't know where they come in from (I asked my boss, he wasn't sure). I'm assuming somewhere in the continental US.

Here are some pictures:

viewed from the top

from the side

and the underside

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
That looks EXACTLY like the Cobweb Weaver I have on my desk right now!

I can't find an exact match for mine. I'm thinking Widowman10 or jsloan will stop by to take a look. ;)

BTW, great pics, much better than the ones I took... :clap:

Good luck with the ID! S.

jess578

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone!

A quick google image search adn now I too am convinced that's what she is.

She is really beautiful, I think she's earned a nice little place in my collection. I'll keep her in her container for now, but plan to spoil her much the same way that I do with my recluse. :)

It's been hard to find but can anyone tell me offhand their distribution? One person said pan-tropical, so I'm guessing they don't normally occur in the midwest?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One person said pan-tropical, so I'm guessing they don't normally occur in the midwest?
I think you're right. According to "Spiders of North America," N. rufipes is found in California, Texas and Florida.