Unknown Selenocosmia sp. (black)

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have the same thing...

I've been researching this particular creature myself. This is what I've gathered so far:
Most, that know something about taxonomy of asian
theraphosids, believe this to be a Selenocosmid.
But also could be Coremiocnemis sp.
I emailed da man (Volker) regarding this specimen, so I have yet to hear back from him.
Both Steve Nunn and Martin, gave insight into how to tell the difference in Selenocosmia and Coremiocnemis sp. Have a look at an exuvium (if you have one) and view the lyra.
In Coremiocnemis sp., the lyra appears as peg-like
setae on the pro-lateral cheliceral face. In Selenocosmia sp., this is absent.
I have a cast skin, and I've examined it as best as I could, but the skin is so beat up and worn, I can't really make anything out. So do I have a Selenocosmia? Maybe.
Steve directed me to a website that depicts a Coremiocnemis sp. that resembles what we have. Though it is "browned out" as my cast exuvium is.
john
PS Thanks to Steve and Martin for the info and help!

Attachments

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: I have the same thing...

My money leans toward a Selenocosmia sp.(them being the dumping grounds for any and all unexplained Selenocosmiine species), either way, you guys have got a beautiful tarantula with guaranteed attitude. I know of a few Phlogiellus spp. that closely resemble that too, although the only Phlogiellus that get to that size are Australian, all others are a lot smaller.

Cheers,
Steve