Unknown scorpion

taka

Arachnopeon
I bought this little guy under the name of an "African Fat Claw", and he's trying to crawl up the walls, which means he doesn't like the environment I've got him in. Can anyone ID this little bugger and give me some tips on what the humidity and temperature of his home should be?

Forgive the poor quality of the pics, the only camera I've got right now is my camera phone.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ugh..:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

-Looks- like Pandinus cavimanus, but who knows with pictures like that , read the article on ID'ing heterometrus species, hard to tell if its black..or that off brownish color that cavimanus are.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ure new to scorpions ..i kindve am .thats a pandiums impetetor .an emperor scorpion. humidity about 65% tempreture i keep mine any were from 75-85.but u know no matter how much i try to get his envirement right.he always wants to get out and climb up the walls

taka

Arachnopeon
It's an off brown color, I wish I had a better camera, but I figured anything would be better than just trying to describe it :p.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well it isn't P. imperator. The telson is the same color as the rest of the body. Looks like P. cavimanus to me. Keep them the same way as an emp.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are you sure tabor
Pretty sure ... best I can come up with for cell phone pics.. and when he said it was an off brown color that's another give away for a common scorp like that.

just a shot in the dark thought with those crumby pics.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, I think this is not P.imperator, but I think a subadult P.cavimanus, because of the coloration in general and granulation patterns on the animal. I think because of the shape and size of the animal in general and the lenght of the fingers, compared to the chela, it is a young female. But this is an 'educated guess' ;)

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pandinus (or Heterometrus) require 5-10 gal tank, 4-6 inches moist substrate (peat or cocoa fibre, many variations on this e.g. peat + 10-20% sand for better burrowing), 1 hide each, water dish for drinking and bathing heat sorce from side, back or top (not underneath as they may burrow down to it and over heat), no heavy items they may burrow under, 85'c and 85-90% humidity (moist substrate more important then ambient humidity)
If you get it spot on, be prepared to rarely see your scorp. Check You Tube for Thaedion's vid on setting up false bottom tank, top advice.

Damo

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could be P.Cavimanus, but could belong to the heterometrus genus too. Try and get some better pictures up.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah ure right the telson is orange on emperor scorpions sorry i am bad wrong