Unknown Milipede

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Haven't named any of the ones I posted in this thread. I named the first two Orthos I got ~2.5-3 years ago (Milton and Murphy). Still have Murphy but Milton died a couple months ago. Milton's my profile pic.
:( I'm sorry Milton died. He looked awesome.

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
It's alright! He was huge so I'm pretty sure he was older. Just motivated me to buy more Orthos so Murphy still had company. Now if only we could crack the code on breeding them
Ayyy nice. And the milipede is a Narceus Americanus!! I've decided to name him Dracula or maybe Asmodeus. As for the cohabitation, I've decided on it ( not the breeding, I don't think my RAs would enjoy that or my family as they are scared of all insects.And I mean all of them. So far they like each other. As for the breeding aspect for you, maybe some other (more experienced) members can help you with it???

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
It's alright! He was huge so I'm pretty sure he was older. Just motivated me to buy more Orthos so Murphy still had company. Now if only we could crack the code on breeding them
Maybe you can give your milipedes a nice candlelight dinner with violin music/a four course meal XD. Or a romantic movie. ( joke disclaimer).

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As for the breeding aspect for you, maybe some other (more experienced) members can help you with it???
It's pretty much a mystery to everyone. I witnissed Milton & Murphy exhibiting breeding behavior, but never babies. Some theorize they need a 'monsoon' season to initiate the process, but so far there isn't any detailed documentation of it. One thread here from 3 years ago that has gone silent. One thread on beetleforum.net that was started in February that I'm following. Another user told me a man by the name of Shawn Kramer had success with the monsoon method, but I haven't seen proof for that instance either. Hopefully it's the trick. Until we see 'babies' from these reports grown up a bit, I think it's reasonable to be skeptical. Unfortunately these are a long lived species so it'll take some time for them to grow, and there's always the possibility that even if this is the key to breeding, that babies don't do well in captivity.

Only time and experimentation will tell. I'll be trying the monsoon method myself come July, and I'll be playing a Dido CD on loop in the bug room for the duration.
Hopefully someday I'll have my own post for people to be skeptical about.