Unknown Milipede

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know what species of millipede this is?? I went moth baiting tonight and I found this little dude on a tree. For reference I live in Dallas, North Carolina ( Piedmont Area). I'm interested in keeping him ( either with my Florida Ivory or in a tank by himself as I have a multitude of tanks/habitats, substrates, etc). I put him ( or her) in a habitat I use when I have to clean out my milis tank/use for quarantine and he's chilling atm.

Attachments

Sterls

Arachnobaron
The pictures aren't the best, but my guess is Narceus americanus. Emphasis on the guess part. It seems small, but I don't have experience with babies. They're all over the eastern states though.

Here's what mine look like. Their colors can vary, so not looking exactly like mine doesn't mean they're not Narceus americanus. Third pic has two that are different colored. Pictures I've seen look a lot more like yours actually. Not an expert in the slightest so hopefully somebody else can chime in too.

Screenshot_20210407-211208_(1).png
IMG_9365.JPG
20201012_144039.jpg

Last edited:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’m looking but I can’t find anything on millipedes there. It looks like a small N. Americanus but it is super tiny so it’s unlikely

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Thank you both!! Yeah this one was really tiny. Also Steris, your milis are absolutely beautiful. I think it could be Narceus americanus but I'm not zure. For reference, it's legs are also a dark red color.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Thank you both!! Yeah this one was really tiny. Also Steris, your milis are absolutely beautiful. I think it could be Narceus americanus but I'm not zure. For reference, it's legs are also a dark red color.
Thanks! Not trying to highjack your thread but here's some more I have. Narceus gordanus and Orthoporus ornatus.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Definitely a juvenile Narceus americanus though I couldn't tell you which locality. Could theoretically cohabitate with a Florida Ivory, though I would advise against it if you ever plan to breed. Narceus americanus is probably my favorite North American species, though its so hard to choose. Definitely love all the thicker ones though (Narceus, Floridobolus, Tylobolus etc.) as they're unquestionably adorable.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
orthoporus are the amazing ones. They are considered the legal millipede giants. They are all cool and they are super long. The narceus are cool but are smaller. My orthoporus got 6 4/15 inches

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I love Orthoporus too :rofl:, I keep a large tank of 11. The Paeromopus species can also get up to about six inches and have gorgeous varied banding. Sadly not widespread in the hobby.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’ve never heard of these. They are native to my state so I might try to find some. You know what’s even better is feather millipedes. Next time I go up north, I’m going to try to find some. Sadly, the only millipedes in my area are coming browns, tylobolus, and greenhouse millipedes.

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Definitely a juvenile Narceus americanus though I couldn't tell you which locality. Could theoretically cohabitate with a Florida Ivory, though I would advise against it if you ever plan to breed. Narceus americanus is probably my favorite North American species, though its so hard to choose. Definitely love all the thicker ones though (Narceus, Floridobolus, Tylobolus etc.) as they're unquestionably adorable.
Thank you!! Yeah I don't plan to breed my milipedes so I might introduce the narceus into my ivorys tank but it seems to like the tank its already in lol.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Are you sure you don’t want to breed them. The American giants are worth a ton when captive bred and super fun, especially if you have tons of them

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
oh wow those are the exact ones I found in my bug ecosystem. They just popped out of nowhere one day and ate all the dead leaves! man they are wonderful to watch.

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
Also, how big do they grow? I am wondering if i can still keep them there because its a 10 gallon tank shared with wolf spiders and centipedes as well.

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Are you sure you don’t want to breed them. The American giants are worth a ton when captive bred and super fun, especially if you have tons of them
Maybe?? I've never really thought about it ( and they're just my pets rn lol) I could look into it though! Tbh I don't know who would buy them (unless I sold them online). There aren't a lot of milipede enthusiasts around here except for my friends and professor.

AButteredSpider17

Arachnopeon
Also, how big do they grow? I am wondering if i can still keep them there because its a 10 gallon tank shared with wolf spiders and centipedes as well.
My Florida ivory one (Lucifer) will get about 4 inches, as for the one I've listed in this thread, they get to about 4 to 6 inches, I believe. Feel free to fact check me on this.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
They'll go about four to five inches. I highly recommend keeping them, but definitely not in that tank :rofl: . Also wolf spiders and centipedes together??? Were these wild collected from the same locale? Just curious as these normally make TERRIBLE cohabitants.
Edit: can be okay if we're talking stone centipedes and they collected together with lots of food, but generally no

Last edited:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Those are absolutely beautiful!
Did ya name them??
Haven't named any of the ones I posted in this thread. I named the first two Orthos I got ~2.5-3 years ago (Milton and Murphy). Still have Murphy but Milton died a couple months ago. Milton's my profile pic.

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
They'll go about four to five inches. I highly recommend keeping them, but definitely not in that tank :rofl: . Also wolf spiders and centipedes together??? Were these wild collected from the same locale? Just curious as these normally make TERRIBLE cohabitants.
Edit: can be okay if we're talking stone centipedes and they collected together with lots of food, but generally no
Yea I keep Lithobius and Scolopocryptops with Hogna. Also, if anybody can answer my questions in this thread, that would be great: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/lithobius-and-scolopocryptops.344484/