Unique spider

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all!

I have a very unique Hysterocrates sp. spider that was sold to me as "H. ederi." However, it looks like no ederi I've seen, due to its odd legs IV.

I realize it's impossible to make a positive ID of a Hysterocrates from a photo, but what I want to know is if anyone has seen one like what I have. If so, what was it called?

Here's the link to many photos of it:

http://tarantulas.differentdawn.com/unknown/unknown.html

Thanks for your opinions!

-Garrick

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's my H. gigas at the bottom. . . notice how slender her legs IV are compared to the "feet" of the spider in the first 7 photos. That and the different coloration of her femurs are what have me befuddled.

Is there anyone with a copy of Andrew Smith's "Baboon Spiders" book that has info on Hysterocrates? What about clear pictures of leg IV from Hysterocrates species such as apostolicus or scepticus?

-Garrick

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Garrick,
It doesn't look like any Hysterocrates gigas that I've seen, but that doesn't mean it can't be one.
It does look more like Citharischius crawshayi.
But then, if you raised it you'd be keyed in one the excruciatingly slow growth of a king baboon.
I once sent Rick West an exuvium of a Hysterocrates sp. that someone thought for sure, was H. hercules. This adult female specimen had heavily striped patella on all legs and the typical oblong abdomen of the genus. Also, it didn't have the barrel-like tibia and metatarsus that is commonly seen in H. gigas.
Rick contacted me after he inspected it and found that it is a geographical morph of H. gigas.
You mystery african has the typical Leg IV metatarsal, big pad-like scopulae, that is evident in Citharischius.
Regardless, whatever it is, it's pretty neat lookin'.
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Todd,
That makes more sense, but H. gigas also has the barreled and swollen tibia on legs 4.
I've only seen a couple of H.crassipes pics, but these pics showcased everything but the rear legs. The pics also showed the black/dark femurs that coincides with Garrick's description of his mystery spider.
john

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for your replies!

Lariz,

Yes, its legs IV remind me of Citharischius too, but it has that long, red Hysterocrates hair.
It came from an individual in Florida that specialized in large theraphosids- he was pretty particular about staying in contact with importers
and spotted a bunk shipment of misnamed H. hercules from a now-defunct S. Florida importer (i.e., he had a pretty good eye).
Apparently, the data data given to him when he got the spider in the pictures (when it was a teeny 'ling) was that it was H. ederi. That makes me not doubt it's west African, but I've no idea of its exact locality.

Todd,

But what about the tarsus? I haven't seen many H. crassipes photos, but in the ones i have, none of them have the swollen tarsus.

-Garrick