Unique enclosure

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Saw these at the dollar tree for a buck while scouting enclosures, thought it might be kind of nifty with the locking lid and smaller opening. It's basically a small cereal container. Dimensions are 6"x2.5"x6", just wondering if it might be good for a smaller arboreal along such as A. Avic or P. Cambridgei, and to what size you would recommend keeping in it (max size)

Nifty find or no go?

Attachments

Last edited:

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, personally I don't use containers like these because of visibility but there is no reason it wouldn't work. I vote for nifty find!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Saw these at the dollar tree for a buck while scouting enclosures, thought it might be kind of nifty with the locking lid and smaller opening. It's basically a small cereal container. Dimensions are 6"x2.5"x6", just wondering if it might be good for a smaller arboreal along such as A. Avic or P. Cambridgei, and to what size you would recommend keeping in it (max size)

Nifty find or no go?
I would look toward a smaller obligate burrower with that enclosure personally. It would allow you to add lots of substrate for them to use and you could fill it almost to the top and still be able to feed and water with ease.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I would look toward a smaller obligate burrower with that enclosure personally
Great Idea If you could make the starter burrow in the end that is skinnier you may be able to see your T's in there burrow.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I would look toward a smaller obligate burrower with that enclosure personally. It would allow you to add lots of substrate for them to use and you could fill it almost to the top and still be able to feed and water with ease.
Hmm I don't have any obligate burrowers, that's an interesting idea, would you be able to recommend a few reasonably priced, NW obligate borrowers? I could imagine with the width of the enclosure you could see a lot of its burrow

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hmm I don't have any obligate burrowers, that's an interesting idea, would you be able to recommend a few reasonably priced, NW obligate borrowers? I could imagine with the width of the enclosure you could see a lot of its burrow
M. robustum! M. robustum! M. robustum!

IMG_0522.JPG

They do get fairly large, but they're relatively slow growing. Just be prepared - you will never see this spider in that enclosure. It scurries underground at the slightest vibration.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
YES ! YES! So much yes! Also Eulersk I know you live in a very warm desert area and I was wondering what temps you keep your M.robustum at since Ive heard they needed to be kept cooler than most T's?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just took a closer look at the enclosure. That would be easy to modify with an acrylic lid. Cut out the purple solid piece on top (leaving the feeding do intact), hot glue a piece if acrylic, and you're done.

magicmed

Arachnobaron

View attachment 217696

They do get fairly large, but they're relatively slow growing. Just be prepared - you will never see this spider in that enclosure. It scurries underground at the slightest vibration.
Hey can't call myself a keeper without a pet hole! I do love the look of the m. Robustum, they're pretty reasonably priced if i recall.

Is there a way to safely and without causing stress to the T possibly devise a couple angled pieces of acrylic into the enclosure to kind of coerce the T into making its burrow along the sides of the enclosure? Or would that just end up stressing the T too much?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
YES ! YES! So much yes! Also Eulersk I know you live in a very warm desert area and I was wondering what temps you keep your M.robustum at since Ive heard they needed to be kept cooler than most T's?
That's actually a myth as far as I'm concerned. It seems to thrive as is, and my T room is consistently 85-90F during the summers. They require humidity though, which may be where that temperature thing comes from. Warmer weather makes them dry out quicker, of course.

They're hardier at larger sizes of course, but I never let the enclosure dry out completely. A dry enclosure would almost certainly kill a sling or young juvie, IME.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I just took a closer look at the enclosure. That would be easy to modify with an acrylic lid. Cut out the purple solid piece on top (leaving the feeding do intact), hot glue a piece if acrylic, and you're done.
I was thinking the same thing, thanks to you and your vids every enclosure I see I wanna glue some acrylic or a cd case in it lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hey can't call myself a keeper without a pet hole! I do love the look of the m. Robustum, they're pretty reasonably priced if i recall.

Is there a way to safely and without causing stress to the T possibly devise a couple angled pieces of acrylic into the enclosure to kind of coerce the T into making its burrow along the sides of the enclosure? Or would that just end up stressing the T too much?
No need. Just make the starter burrow up against the plastic and it will follow suit. You're going to want to tape thick paper or something up against their burrow, otherwise they'll either web it to make it dark or burrow away from it. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'm explaining that very well...

Trenor

Arachnoprince

View attachment 217696

Nice.

I haven't owned one of these (most of my burrowers are OW) but I found these guys interesting and they are on my list.
Kochiana brunnipes

magicmed

Arachnobaron
No need. Just make the starter burrow up against the plastic and it will follow suit. You're going to want to tape thick paper or something up against their burrow, otherwise they'll either web it to make it dark or burrow away from it. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'm explaining that very well...
Yep makes perfect sense :) I figured they wouldn't like there being a clear side to their burrow

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My Ts webbed up the burrows even with the paper covering it. :( It was nice for a while to see it in it's burrow till then though.

Last edited:

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
That's actually a myth as far as I'm concerned. It seems to thrive as is, and my T room is consistently 85-90F during the summers. They require humidity though, which may be where that temperature thing comes from. Warmer weather makes them dry out quicker, of course.
I assumed this was the case well might have to look into getting on since my T room never hits anything above 82 F. Thanks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ew, gross - that picture I posted is horribly oversaturated. So much for the wonders of a camera phone. They're much more red than that picture would have you believe. They're gorgeous, actually. They're really not a pet hole at all. Mine is fully out of its burrow almost constantly, it just retreats back in if I walk by or breathe too heavily :D Lightening fast speed, by the way, so be prepared for that. They also have the most adorable defense mechanism. Many tarantulas have rear spurs, but this one actually uses them! Their threat posture is turned around with an abdomen in the air.

Mine Ts webbed up the burrows even with the paper covering it. :( It was nice for a while to see it in it's burrow till then though.
Some species do this no matter what. Every Ceratogyrus species heavily webs their burrow, as well as any deep-burrowing Chilobrachys. Most NW burrowers I've kept don't seem to web unless there is light entering their burrow.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Speaking of burrowers, does anyone know where I can get any Aussie tarantulas? Without the annoying and "look I'm Australian I'm Aussie it makes me special" Australians?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice.

I haven't owned one of these (most of my burrowers are OW) but I found these guys interesting and they are on my list.
Kochiana brunnipes
I've owned one, def. get it. Great little Ts.