• Baby or Adult

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Kind

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

rafael

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,
I found this little scorpion in my farm in Brazil. It´s about 1-2cm. Is it a baby? Is it going to grow up? How many cm. Talk in cm here pls. I´m sending 2 pictures. Identify pls the gender and the main problem : It´s type.
sp and so on.
Im feeding it with flies from my bathroom.

Thanks

Attachments

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow,

That is an interesting find. This species belongs to the family Buthidae, and I think a juvenile Tityus, but I would need a third picture taken from the side of the stinger. There is a small chance of another buthid genus, Ananteris and it that case the animal could be subadult.

The sex, based on the pectines, most probably a male, but this is not 100% sure. The size depends on the species, and since the species can not be identified based on these pics alone, we can't answer that one.

Last edited:

rafael

Arachnopeon
More pics and questions!Pls Help!

I´m sending now several pics from different views of the scorpion. Pls identify as fast as you can the gender and the sp. I´m creating him in an aquarium with stones for fishes, some places to hide and some wood. Im also sendig the pic from it´s habitat. I live in brazil, the clima is hot. I dont think that i need some heater. I feed him with flies every day. Im thinking of feeding him twice a week with flies. the scorpion is very small and i cant give him big stuff.
Thx.

Attachments

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
small crickets could work if you could go to a petstore. it'll probably eat once or twice a week, and only one cricket.

nice find! :) Wish I could go out and find those... but then again, i'd chance getting stung. be careful!

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks like Ananteris sp based on the location you mentioned..
possibly Ananteris mauryi ..?
im not an expert at all .i just compared a pic i found from scorpion files.

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks male. and I would provide it with some actual soil, or peat moss as substrate.

Nice find none the less.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, I suspected this, but didn't hope that it was, what I thought it was. Sorry for that English. :)

You have found a very rare scorpion, it is unmistakeably (They have a very typical elongated venom vesicle, this together with the size and the habitus) an Ananteris species, an adult male. Reliable species ID is not possible with only digital images, you have to accept that for a fact. It shows affinities with several Ananteris species, so you can label it Ananteris sp.. I would need to look at the cheliceral pattern under the microscope and the locations of several trichobothria on the pedipalps. Even Dr.Lourenco would tell you this. There are only around 150 preserved specimens from the genus Ananteris in museum collections worldwide and circa half of those belong to the most widespread species Ananteris balzanii. Other species are known from a couple of specimens or even a single specimen. This is really a rare find, I hope you realize this.

PS. I work in a museum researching and identyfing Neotropical scorpions in my spare time so please send the specimen to me when it dies, so I can identify it for you and store it in my personal collection. I will pay for shippingcosts, and I appreciate it if you are willing to send it to me.

PS. 2. If you keep it on that gravel it will dehydrate and die eventually. Take a plastic cup, fill it with dirt or ground from outside, put in some sticks, pieces of bark and keep it humid, not dry. you can feed al kinds of small insects.

Cheers, Michiel Cozijn

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

looks like Ananteris sp based on the location you mentioned..
possibly Ananteris mauryi ..?
im not an expert at all .i just compared a pic i found from scorpion fauna.
You mean The Scorpion Files ;) Not The scorpion Fauna...
other than that, you have keen eyes...:D

Last edited:

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hahah yeah my mistake it was scorpion files lol i just fixed it .lol

Again,Thanks for helping many ppl here including me. :)

rafael

Arachnopeon
Wow, I suspected this, but didn't hope that it was, what I thought it was. Sorry for that English. :)

You have found a very rare scorpion, it is unmistakeably (They have a very typical elongated venom vesicle, this together with the size and the habitus) an Ananteris species, an adult male. Reliable species ID is not possible with only digital images, you have to accept that for a fact. It shows affinities with several Ananteris species, so you can label it Ananteris sp.. I would need to look at the cheliceral pattern under the microscope and the locations of several trichobothria on the pedipalps. Even Dr.Lourenco would tell you this. There are only around 150 preserved specimens from the genus Ananteris in museum collections worldwide and circa half of those belong to the most widespread species Ananteris balzanii. Other species are known from a couple of specimens or even a single specimen. This is really a rare find, I hope you realize this.

PS. I work in a museum researching and identyfing Neotropical scorpions in my spare time so please send the specimen to me when it dies, so I can identify it for you and store it in my personal collection. I will pay for shippingcosts, and I appreciate it if you are willing to send it to me.

PS. 2. If you keep it on that gravel it will dehydrate and die eventually. Take a plastic cup, fill it with dirt or ground from outside, put in some sticks, pieces of bark and keep it humid, not dry. you can feed al kinds of small insects.

Cheers, Michiel Cozijn

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Wow,thanks a lot. That means a lot to me. Im still feeding it with flies. Here in my city there are no petstores where u can buy crickets. I take flies from my bathroom. I was thinking in feeding him like twice a week. I will take some dirty, sticks and keep it humid and put it in the aquarium(it was expensive!). I think it will be very hard to find some piece of bark but ill try. I think we dont need to discuss about the temperature here. Its warm and at night a little colder but still warm. i think i wont need any heater or something to keed the temperature stable, will i?
Now the question. If it is an adult, will it grow up like till 5-6 cm or will it stay like this forever? :D
Thanks a lot. Hope hearing from u soon.
Rafael

P.S.: In brazil keeping a scorpion, specially like this its illegal. Its the law. Keeping any animal from the brazilian fauna at home its illegal.I think sending it to another country would be more illegal. I dont know. Well, we can try. :D.
If you want u can add me on msn if u have or send me emails.
rafael_maraccini@hotmail.com

Wiedersehen :)

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beautiful scorpion you have there.

be sure to give it a gradient from wet to dry. deep substrate and leaf litter.

Try your best at finding more of them and attempt breeding them. that would be a rare first for many neotropical scorpions.

good luck with that archaec sp. :worship:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Rafael,

I answered your question via a PM.

Regards,

Michiel

Deep substrate is not necesarry because these do not burrow, leaf litter is a good idea though, because they live in the leaf litter....For others, the animal is an adult...These scorpions are very small.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Beautiful Scorpion.

Thought it was a Tityus Sp. at first aswell.
Although Ive never heard of Ananteris until now.

Defiently as interesting as the Tityus Sp. Amazing Colorations.

Should go poking around the farm somemore; there must be a few more out their.
Would be neat to have a colony of these guys.

rafael

Arachnopeon
Beautiful Scorpion.

Thought it was a Tityus Sp. at first aswell.
Although Ive never heard of Ananteris until now.

Defiently as interesting as the Tityus Sp. Amazing Colorations.

Should go poking around the farm somemore; there must be a few more out their.
Would be neat to have a colony of these guys.
We dont have scorpions in our farm. My uncle brought some woods and there they came from. I once saw a Tityus serrulatus but i wasnt really in this scorpion thing yet. So my grandpa killed it. But this one ate those spiders wich kill flies yesterday. Cool :D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We dont have scorpions in our farm. My uncle brought some woods and there they came from. I once saw a Tityus serrulatus but i wasnt really in this scorpion thing yet. So my grandpa killed it. But this one ate those spiders wich kill flies yesterday. Cool :D

These Ananteris species are not found in dense colonies, you might find a couple more if you are very lucky....from what place did the wood come from, Rafael?
@Bam, attention please, read my post! 150 specimens in museum worldwide, remember? and your talking about colonies? Out of my class now, and I'll have talk with your parents about this young man! :p