Unidentified pond plants

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
I know that this website isn't really meant to be for identification assistance, but does anyone know what these plants are?
They were found in a small New Hampshire creek, being fed by a large lake or pond.

106_3491.JPG 106_3488.JPG 106_3489.JPG
106_3490.JPG 106_3492.JPG

They almost resemble shamrocks, although they seem to have more than three leaves. They seem to be growing alongside some kind of moss, although that might possibly be the root system.
Are they even aquatic plants, or are they of terrestrial origin?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
kinda reminds me of watercress wouldnt introduce it to any tanks you might have probably infest your tank with snails

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
kinda reminds me of watercress wouldnt introduce it to any tanks you might have probably infest your tank with snails
Thanks for your reply, but I don't think it's watercress. It almost resembles elodea, but it's way smaller and lighter green. You can see its size from the first picture. I don't even know if it's aquatic or terrestrial.

Also, I don't mind snails in the tank. It's only for amphipods, anyways.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Thanks for your reply, but I don't think it's watercress. It almost resembles elodea, but it's way smaller and lighter green. You can see its size from the first picture. I don't even know if it's aquatic or terrestrial.

Also, I don't mind snails in the tank. It's only for amphipods, anyways.
It's not duckweed. Try: https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/species/callitriche/palustris/?pile=non-thalloid-aquatic

Of course, if it's not aquatic ID will be harder. Could you measure the leaf length? Could we get a clearer close-up of an individual node (the place the leaves come out of)? Can this plant stand up on its own? How fast was the creek?

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
It's not duckweed. Try: https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/species/callitriche/palustris/?pile=non-thalloid-aquatic

Of course, if it's not aquatic ID will be harder. Could you measure the leaf length? Could we get a clearer close-up of an individual node (the place the leaves come out of)? Can this plant stand up on its own? How fast was the creek?
The leaves are pretty tiny. You can see the size of the plant compared to my hand in the first photo.
The area of the creek that it was found in was actually quite stagnant. I can't decide if I should call it a creek or a bog.
I believe it was just kind of floating in the water, or in the very least, loosely rooted.

I think you're right. It's got to be a kind of water starwort. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it's native, naturalized, or invasive.
Unfortunately, it kind of resembles Callitriche stagnalis.

Last edited: