Unidentified eggs that are starting to hatch

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few shots from today

There's evidence of molting into 3rd instar in the containers, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between any of them other than a bit of size. They're webbing up the containers really well, also. Each container pretty much has one large funnel-ish web around the inside, from top to substrate. Lots of cannibalism going on, lots of running around investigating each other, and just generally a lot of everything. The shots have a bit of a haze to them from the containers. They're deli containers from a local grocery store, and while they are clear, they do have that weird opacity thing going on.

babiessnacking.JPG
eating.JPG
web.JPG

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Probably the easiest slings you could care for.. they're insane killing machines, even at 2i.. Mine behave just like adults; launching dramatic volleys of bites over and over, from all angles, so vicious!

Imagine a tarantula that attacks like that O_O

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't even keep track of how many are attacking another one. I watched one of the containers for about 15 minutes yesterday and the entire time they were moving, stalking, and killing. I know the numbers are going down, but it still looks like SO many of them.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More photos taken today while re-housing.

I used the same containers they were in. I dumped each container out into an old, giant pyrex bowl, which worked out really well because they couldn't climb the sides. 2 of the containers got cocofiber and random sticks.
enclosure.JPG
stick.JPG

I had sphagnum in the containers originally, but they really needed cleaned out. I picked through the moss to get as many moving babies as possible, and split the remaining moss between 2 containers. I know there are still a bunch hiding in the moss in both, and some that looked dead but could have been going into molt. I put around 50 actively moving ones in the containers with dirt/sticks.

This little guy didn't have a care in the world that I was moving this paper towel around and causing a giant earthquake, he just kept cleaning himself.
grooming.JPG

Little one on my thumb.
close.JPG

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More updates from today

You can see that they're getting fur!

fur.JPG

And this little oddball. I just used this bowl to make cookies yesterday, so I washed it quickly and dried it before using it for the spiders. I must have missed some, and I found this little guy just chilling on a drop of congealed sugary stuffs. I couldn't tell if he was trying to eat it or not, he was just kind of standing awkwardly over it.

sugar.JPG

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
New photos of the little ones

Cleaned out their containers today, apparently the dried sticks from my back yard are some sort of amaranth and germinate super fast, the bottoms of the containers were almost covered in sprouts. There are probably about 30 left. I see slight morphological differences between the larger ones, as well as color differences. I'm wondering if I have 2 different species, the egg sacs were from a few different pieces of wood. Either way, they're doing good. Defensive and FAST. So fast. I'm going to throw some dwarf white isopods in the container later, my colony is finally taking off so I have some to spare. =)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
nectar actually happens to be food for many spider species in the wild. They will also drink from fallen overripe fruit if thirsty. Some could be considered omnivores in the sense that they inadvertently ingest large quantities of pollen and pistils stuck to their webs. Some spiders, like sac spiders, and salticidae drink copious amounts of nectar and could be obtaining a major portion of their dietary nutrition this way. Real nectar is full of vitamins and minerals. Im considering growing oxalis in some of my enclosures to provide nectar. (Not to mention awesome looking, ahaha)

These are really cool spiders. sorry to threadjack, but here's a fat agelenopsis aperta "prairie" morph:

She's actually bigger than the measurement looks, because she's a half-cm above the ruler. That's how big yours should get with a good diet

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen a few things about certain species eating nectar, I just never expected that little one to be eating watered down chocolate chip cookie dough. I have plenty of yellow wood sorrel around here, maybe I'll add that to jumper cages once it gets warm and I can collect some. Then I can eat it when it needs clipped.

I'd definitely be happy with that size, they're definitely well fed right now. I just have to keep them that way now that they've thinned their numbers down a bit. I really like the coloring on the prairie, my local ones are all dark and barely patterned.