Unidentified eggs that are starting to hatch

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Or just take them up to a high place with a breeze, put some upright sticks in the container and enjoy the show. Certain death for them though if it's the wrong time of year.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm. I do have a lid on the container, we have 3 cats and they're super, super nosy. It's a little too cold for me to allow them to go anywhere outside, and we just got a ton of snow today. I don't see any fresh evidence of molting in to container that I moved most of them over to. From what I've gathered most spiders start to feed at 2nd instar, but I really don't have a time frame for when that could happen. It seems like they're just so small that the time to molt from 1st to 2nd would be short. Also, once they're 2nd instar would be when they actually "hatch" from the eggsac normally, correct?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know what you mean about the cold, im one state over. Yeah they should start feeding at 2nd instar. Depending on the species, depends on how much cannibalizing and when they start doing that. It would also depend on the species, temps, etc to give a rough time frame between 1st and 2nd instar molting. Sometimes 1st instars will hatch out of the sac and stay in the mothers nursery web. Then once they hit 2nd instar, they will stay a short period and start ballooning away. Ballooning means they will toss up a strand of silk into the air, and a breeze will catch it, and carry them off. Believe me its weird to think of enough airflow in a bedroom to move them around, but somehow they manage to make it all over the room :). Also some species of true spider cannot climb smooth plastic, like wolf spiders. However the slings can climb the crap out of it, and you have a heck of a time getting the lid open/closed due to hundreds of slings wanting to all go in the same direction, OUT!
Hmm. I do have a lid on the container, we have 3 cats and they're super, super nosy. It's a little too cold for me to allow them to go anywhere outside, and we just got a ton of snow today. I don't see any fresh evidence of molting in to container that I moved most of them over to. From what I've gathered most spiders start to feed at 2nd instar, but I really don't have a time frame for when that could happen. It seems like they're just so small that the time to molt from 1st to 2nd would be short. Also, once they're 2nd instar would be when they actually "hatch" from the eggsac normally, correct?

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figured once the babies had solid legs they could climb the plastic, or glass, or anything. I think I'll set up their house later today so I have a bit more distance to fight them down when they try to escape. I'll just put their tupperware in their new tank and let them get out of it on their own. I'm overly familiar with ballooning, it's about the only thing about them that still gives me the creeps. We had a fairly large population of "house spiders" living on our porch this year, and since we were keeping our small garden organic, we encouraged them to stay. It got fairly out of control, and at one point there was at least 1 per square foot, and I was leaving our porch light on all night to attract food for them. The back yard was a mine field of webs to walk through, but we had very minimal bug damage to our food.

I'm so impatient, I just keep looking through the sides of the tupperware at them. I want to know what they are, now. =) It'll also be good to get them set up in their new cage soon, as I haven't been sealing the lid of the tupperware. I'm afraid that the force of opening it from fully sealed will explode their little bodies.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well atleast your veggies were supervised all hours of the night :). It might be hard to say what they are until they are atleast juveniles. Being the way the sac looked i would guess they would have to be some sort of ground spider, and not a cobweb.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
New pictures!

Some of them can actually walk today!

2nd instar.JPG

I let this little dude climb onto a toothpick so I could get a picture. He actually dropped a web from the toothpick to the countertop and took off. It was quite the adventure trying to catch him again because he is so little. He didn't want to get onto the toothpick again, so I ended up letting him climb onto my fingernail and held him over the bin until he webbed down.
tiny2nd.JPG

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MORE! Updated photos.

Dorsal view. This little dude was super fast, trying to get into every little crevice on my hands.
dorsal.JPG

Same little one, a view of his eyes. Even through jewelers loupes I can't tell whats going on with eye arrangement. I might try to put one under a microscope tomorrow, there are a few dead in the one container that I might be able to see.
eyes.JPG

There are tons of these little groups all over both of the tupperware. They average around 20 spiders in each group, sometimes double that.
group.JPG

They are webbing now, and most of it is just a cluster of unrelated threads with no rhyme or reason.
web.JPG

Their spinnerettes are large-ish, but I'm not sure what to expect from a baby vs an adult of a species. No real pattern that's visible, but you can see on the closeup of the dorsal that there's something going on there. They're also a bit jumpy, one actually jumped away from the toothpick I was trying to get it to climb onto. I also know that a few fed, their abdomens are huge compared to their siblings. I'm expecting some cannibalism, and I'm actually going to allow it for now to thin out the numbers. I was debating feeding a few off to some hatchling Mourning Geckos, but without knowing what they are I'm a little leary of doing that.

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
This is really interesting. :3 They are super cute! So tiny! Thanks for updating, can't wait to see what they turn out to be.

The Snark

Old Timer
That webbing appears to be thwarted ballooning efforts.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking that's what it might have been, they do make a good attempt to get away from me when I try to move them. I'm moving them into containers later today. I ended up settling on large deli containers, and I'm going to cut holes and seal it off with coffee filters. I'm going to do my best to count them when I move them into each container to get an idea of just how many I have. They don't seem to be able to climb the sides of the tupperware that I have them in, no matter how hard they try. I know if I leave the lid off, they'll all escape, but it's comforting knowing that they're not going to all be around the lid when I open it. I'll update again when I have them in their new houses. =)

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, we're getting slightly closer to an ID... kind of. It's still a ground or a sac spider.

I've been secretly holding on to the hope that they'd magically change into a whole bunch of adorable jumping spiders, but no such luck.

The photos are a bit blurry today, they gained a whole lot of speed recently. I can't even keep one on a toothpick without it taking off. I also can't get a good shot of palps or eye arrangement. I didn't get to move them into their new cages yet. My two year old niece came over to the house yesterday and was looking at them, and kept telling me that they were cute. She got so excited when they started crawling (escaping her, because she was yelling cute at them). Her mother and father aren't exactly cool with spiders, so it's also amusing to watch them try to support her curiosity while being totally creeped out.

group1.JPG
outline.JPG
single.JPG

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes! I just found a diagram of eye arrangement as well, and that looks closer to what they have than anything else. There are also a ton of Agelenopsis in my back yard, tricking me into chasing down imaginary wolf spiders. I also found a few photos of verified egg sacs that look identical to mine. That also makes a little more sense with the slight patterning I can see, if it turns out to be A. pennsylvanica. They just look so shiny right now, but then this is the first time I'm raising spiderlings, so this is all new. =)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
As much as I love this genus, I must say they're a total pain if you're searching for sosippus wolves. I've got a spot that has both, and because of the similarity of their webs, including the large funnel, it can be nerve-wracking.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a wolf repellant. I have a whopping ONE on my list of caught wolves in the past year. I brought him in the house, ID'd and returned to the wood pile since it was a larger male. I spent way more time than I should have trying to coax a really nice looking female out from my porch over the summer, but she wasn't having any part of it.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Turn the ceiling fans OFF before trying to move a ton of spiderlings. =(

I finally got the chance to move them today. Left the ceiling fan on in the kitchen, and as soon as they realized that the lid was off they all started trying to float off. I had to hold the container upside down with one hand, while using a toothpick to wind up webs to drop into the containers, all while moving the upside down container around trying to catch the escapees. There were a few casualties, but I managed to split them into 4 containers that are twice the size of what they were in. I also found out that they want me dead, so very very dead, LOL. I tried to get a photo of the one attempting to kill my finger, but he took off before the camera caught him. He was making one heck of an attempt to bite me, and it was kind of adorable.

The one who tried so hard to get me.
closeup.JPG

The 2nd tub. This was the one that I originally had the eggsacs in, then I moved everything I could into a second container. This one contains about half as many as the other container. The new containers aren't very clear, so it's going to be hard to get good shots through them. I have other enclosures read for them once they get a bit bigger, and eat themselves down a bit. Letting them cannibalize each other is the plan for now, there are just way too many.
tub2.JPG

Alokin

Arachnosquire
They loook adorable...i was gona say that they cant be wolf spiders....cous of the eyes..but i gues you figuered that out :D Anyway..they are adorable.....i cant wait to see them grow :D

The Snark

Old Timer
I finally got the chance to move them today. Left the ceiling fan on in the kitchen, and as soon as they realized that the lid was off they all started trying to float off. I had to hold the container upside down with one hand, while using a toothpick to wind up webs to drop into the containers, all while moving the upside down container around trying to catch the escapees.
I want a video of that!

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, NO WAY. I'm not trying to move them again until they're bigger. I found close to two dozen roaming around my kitchen throughout that evening, I can't imagine how many I *didn't* find. Thank something they're not anything dangerous. My boyfriend was looking into the containers I put them in and he just kept laughing at how many there are. I'm thinking it's his way of coping with the fact there are hundreds of spiders on our dresser in the bedroom. I had to move the containers in there because the cats are getting way too nosy, and the bedroom is an absolutely no cat zone, because cats are jerks.