Unidentified Costa Rican Scorp

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello All,
I just got a new scorp. It's been awhile since I've had any. I got it from someone one was traveling in Costa Rica. She found it in her clothes when she opened her suitcase. Its legs are a brownish yellow. The rest of the body is a medium to dark brown. I took some pics at work. The pics came out a little dark so I fixed them up through adobe. I tried to match the colors in the pic with the real scorp as best I could. Anyone have any idea what it could be? It's about 2" stretched.
Mike

1st pic

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
At first I thought it is a Centruroides margaritatas. Now I am leaning toward a C.gracilis. If it is a C.gracilis the venom from the species found in Central America is reported to be quite dangerous. Care should be taken until it is properly ID'd

John
];')

Last edited:

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm no Centruroides expert, I'll preface my post with that. I agree that C. margaritatas and C.gracilis are possibilites (of the two I'd lean toward C. gracilis), but is it possible that this is a color morph of C. limbatus? C. limbatus not only has many color morphs, but some of them come from Costa Rica, and their geography determines their color.

Take another look, then compare to C. limbatus. See what you think (not the yellow-ish color morph!)

Peace,
Chris

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Hmmm that C.limbatus pic is a bit dark...not sure. How large is the scorp with the tail extended? I think C.limbatus is on the small side by and inch or mor from C.gracilis. C.gracilis can get to be more than 4" long.

John
];')

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
Not to worry, I'm not handeling the little fellow. It's in a large deli dish (escape proof). I've never kept centroides. I'm assuming it likes humidity, since it came from a tropical area. I have it on peat and vermiculite with a piece of corkbark and a milk cap as a water bowl. The substrate is only slightly moist.

The tail on the limbatus and margaritatas seem to be different from this little guy. It resembles more the gracilis. Thanks guys. Anyone else have any Ideas?
Mike

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is C. gracilis and apparently, by the subaculear spine, Central American to boot. Hot, hot, hot!

adios,
edw. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm going to have to agree with C.gracilis. Humid is right. What you might want to include is something to climb on, as they are a bark-loving species.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, that's the exact same species that Paul (Exopets) had posted on the forums for an educated ID guess. Everyone here agreed that it indeed was C. gracillis. I can't remember where he said that he had been told they were from though. That thread can still be found on the forum if you care to check it out.

adios,
edw. =D

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great,
Thanks again everyone. I have a piece of cork bark in with it. I will see if he eats later on this week. It's a cool little scorp. Now I want more.
Mike

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
CENTRUROIDES GRACILIS
CLASS A SCORPIONS
ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT

SURGEON edw.'s WARNING:
According to certain scientific
studies, hot scorpions are
killer and more addictive than...
cigarettes!!!