Unexpected molt

cgwpurple

Arachnopeon
I have a female curly hair that is 4 years old she was eating fine last week last night find her webbing up a storm for a vertical molt this morning molt was done but all legs are severed at the first joint next to body is this something that she can live with?

Thanks
Janet

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait so you are saying she is missing all her legs now? I am a bit lost. :confused:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you get a picture? If she get's stuck in her molt and it's a really bad molt there is not going to be a whole lot you can do. Be prepared but she may die. :8o
I am amazed that she is alive still based on your description of what happened.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The spider can live but you will have to hand feed her. There was a scientist who was doing experiments can't think of his name but he cut the legs off of some T's to seen if they could regrow the legs back and he claimed it worked.

so be reADY TO AND FEED

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get what you are saying I do know its possible, but its missing everything and I doubt someone is going to have that kinda time to put into hand feeding and water Mr. Stumpy. I really want to see a picture. Cause at this point I really don't see how it's alive. A molt that bad 98% of the time would result in death, I want to see this 2% in a picture.

cgwpurple

Arachnopeon
I was surprised to but she is still moving her legs as if to get herself upright will try to get picture this evening after work.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just leave her alone for a while. I think I am misunderstanding what is going on with your T.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, i once got a "rescue" T. blondi from a pet store we used to provide veterinary care for. i don't know how big your 4 year old T is. This was a very small T. blondi - about 2.5". This poor T litterally only had one or two legs and one pedipalp - everything else GONE. When the store dropped her off at my office i found some of her missing legs stuck in the lid of the enclosure. She was on dry orchid bark and no water.

i rehoused her so she would be more comfortable and to increase the humidity quite a bit. She had water available at all times. This T hardly ever moved. As crickets have always disgusted me, one of the vets picked off all the legs from small crickets and we would offer her food once in a while. i don't know why we didn't just offer pre-killed or if it would have made a difference - i guess i just didn't think about it then.

She never ate even though we put the food practically right under her. With only one pedipalp and no near by leg she wasn't able to hold her food at all. Luckily since she was so small for a T. blondi, she molted a couple months later. All her legs and pedipalp regenerated to a decent size. Once again she was a speedy T and had a great appetite afterwards. i didn't want a T as big as a blondi at the time so i found her a permanent home shortly afterwards.

So... i have no idea what will happen with your T. i would guess the larger the T, the more difficult it will be for her. However, the one similar experience i had was quite remarkable.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoa here! First you said:

... but all legs are severed at the first joint next to body ...
And now you're saying:

... she is still moving her legs as if to get herself upright ...
What are we to believe? Does she have legs or not? We need a much more believable description of what's going on here, or a fairly good quality photo.

cgwpurple

Arachnopeon
She has legs from her carapace to the femur the patella and down are missing she has actually flipped over,i have dug her water dish so it is leval with the ground and will try to feed her next week. As soon as son finds what he did with camera will post picture.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does she have her pedipalps? Full size? If she can actually eat who knows, she might molt out some new legs like my one-legged, one-pedipalp T. blonde. How big is the T?