Unexpected Mantids (Need help)

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
Excuse my limited mantid knowledge, but I need help! I have come into possession of a mantis egg sack. The hatched babies were dangling from the sack, but the high winds we had spun them all around and entwined the strands that they hang from as they "harden up" and their legs into a huge mess. I'm not sure how long ago they hatched, but I'm assuming it was earlier today because they were already "hardened".
I spent almost two hours under lights and a magnifying glass trying to untangle the strands from their legs with sewing needles. I managed to free all of them and released the ones that weren't mangled, but I'm left with 16 that have deformed legs from being tangled up while their legs hardened.
My main question is, what can I feed them? I've ordered flightless flies for them, but they won't be here for two days. I've separated them into size appropriate deli cups and they seem to be ok for the most part. Will their legs correct themselves with molts? I've read conflicting information about this, but I'd really like to release them if this is possible. If not, well they're welcome to stay here.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I believe they could but I'm not sure not so familiar with molting of mantids

cwebster

Arachnopeon
Do you know what type of mantids or could you post a photo? Kind of you to help them. If they can eat they may be able to molt successfully. If they are chinese mantises they need some humidity with daily misting, melanogaster fruit flies to start. What are you keeping them in? I use deli cups...they will eat each other reportedly.

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
Do you know what type of mantids or could you post a photo? Kind of you to help them. If they can eat they may be able to molt successfully. If they are chinese mantises they need some humidity with daily misting, melanogaster fruit flies to start. What are you keeping them in? I use deli cups...they will eat each other reportedly.
I've placed them all in cups with a some paper towel and a stick each. I found some tule I had lying around and elastic banded it over the top. I found a place that sells fruit flies the next day, so I drove the hour and got them. They're all eating as far as I can tell and I do lightly mist them daily to be safe. As far as what kind they are, I have no idea. The adults are big and green and I see them all the time no matter which state I'm in. They seem to be doing really well though!

Amarok815

Arachnopeon
The US has three (that I know of) main mantid species that are pretty much everywhere (European Mantis - Mantis religiosa, Chinese Mantis - Tenodera sinensis and the Carolina Mantis - Stagmomantis carolina). All three come in green, but they each have different features. The European mantis has "eye" spots on the inner forearm of their grabbers that make them unique and easily distinguishable. Chinese mantids come in green, but I've mainly seen them in brown with a lower wing stripe of green. They're also bigger than the Carolina mantis, reaching around 4", while the Carolina mantis is usual around 2". My guess is you either have Chinese mantids or European mantids. Both are awesome and relatively easy to raise! You can also feed them a little honey on your finger, its super cool, but kinda scary when you have one at or over 2 inches eating it off your finger (I usually waited until they were at least a 1/2 inch or more to introduce the honey). Some won't eat it at first, but if you dab a VERY tiny bit on their front legs (grabbers) they'll clean it off and find out it tastes good. You can also use a tooth pick, but I never had any to use.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
Make sure they have proper ventilation and somewhere to hang while molting and they should be fine. The broken legs may correct themselves after a molt or two!

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
They've been doing great so far! I've only lost one, and it was the worst off when I found them. I've been cataloging their progress and I'm releasing them once the weather is warm again. It's dropping to nearly freezing at night again :meh:
The worst off ones (about 6) will stay until molting and then also be released.
Thank you all for the help!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Careful not to get too attached. I brought a jumper in when it was windy out, intending to release him later when it was warm, but I couldn't do it and now I'm stuck with an extra pet. :D

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
Careful not to get too attached. I brought a jumper in when it was windy out, intending to release him later when it was warm, but I couldn't do it and now I'm stuck with an extra pet. :D
Ya know...I have grown attached to one in particular :rolleyes: That one may end up staying :rofl: