unexpected find

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i was home sick yesterday, and at one point couldn't live without a smoke...so i went into the backyard, and sat next to a dwarf ficus my roommate has on a table to sate my nciotine yearnings. right away i noticed a fat, happy (what i think to be) green lynx spider (Peucetia viridans) sitting on a leaf near teh top of the tree! it seemed very calm. compared to some of the photos i've found, there are differences in coloration, but the basic body structure seems to be the same. it definitely had vibrant yellows and greens, and the arrow pattern on the opisthosoma. i'm going to see if its still around, maybe let it stay as a guest for a while...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're neat spiders, with increadble eyes! Fun to keep as well. I've kept them in a 32-onz deli cup with just a few sticks, and a little misting.

Wade

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
well, i've got a few large mason jars, and i've got a number of native animals visiting as it is. the alligator lizard that got sent to me for rehab is going to stay for a while, and i still have the A. who-knows-what-it-is tarantula. i cute little lynx would be nice!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's one for ya. Last week I was getting in my car after work and noticed a couple silk threads here and there. I'm thinking there must've been a spider in here today. Then I look over at the passenger side door and there's this cool looking little jumper. There are these common regular brown colored jumpers around here but this guy is black with striking yellow spots and stuff. Really neat little guy. His abdomen was kind of thin looking so I caught him, took him home and fed him up.
Watching jumpers attack their prey is pretty sweet too. :)

Laters.

Atrax

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have three of those Jumping spiders. They are realy cool. The ones I have are also the black with some orange on abdomen. They now are about the size of a dime (3/4 ").

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
GOOD GAWD. i wrote the longest freakin' post ever and hit command-Q instead of command-W (command Q quits explorer, command-w closes teh window that i had opened) and lost it all. (*&^(&^$&^#^%$#^%*&)(
anyways, sheesh. my wrists.
i found one tarantula crossing the freeway, on an offramp near escondido. i named it arrow after the big white on ramp arrow i saw it scampering across. it's gone on to north carolina since then, to help out brent hendrixson's research effort. here's what convinced me to send it over.
if you look into the saliticid family you'll find all sorts of cool animals. i love the ant-mimic spiders...they're absolutely amazing. here's a huge but esoteric picture archive and here's a neat page about Salticidae. the home page is keen too, if you like spiders in general.

hi, i like to leave long posts.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lynx Spiders (Oxyopidae)

Hey Krucz, I highly reccomend you keep the lynx spider. They are awesome little predators! Iv kept several Peucetia viridans and they are one of the most amazing true spiders out there.

Alex S.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i think it overheard me, i haven't been able to locate it anywhere in or near the yard
sly little goober

Morganlumer

Arachnopeon
You'd think a country like the UK would have friendly spiders... not so!

About a year ago I put on a wet suit to do some wake boarding, halfway through my lesson I felt the most horrendous pain in my back- when i later removed the wetsuit out fell a wee Segestria florentina... bless her she'd probably holed up in the wetsuit that morning to escape the heat...Unfortunately the young lady didn't survive my mates frantic back slapping!
Anyhoo even better, last night I was bitten by a big girl in my bedroom, right on my heel...needless to say it hurt, but nothing like the wetsuit incident. Im unsure of the species, although it looks alot like a Pardosa nigriceps. All i know is its definitely some form of wolf spider....they love coming indoors in the winter...my house is full of em! I can't bear putting her in captivity so I put her under my bed!

Anyways what amazes me is the fact these girls bite! I didnt realise any true spiders in the UK could pierce human skin..... looks like I thought wrong. Lets hope none of my Ts start biting!

Morganlumer

Arachnopeon
ooo I just found the species that bit me in ma room.....its not a wolf spider at all (just has similar proportions)- She was actually a Tegenaria duellica- the biggest true spider in the UK (still didnt hurt as much as the Segestria florentina tho)..

Check em out- gorgeous animals!

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mmm... I love a nice resurrection in the morning...

Seriously, isnt this a record or something?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maybe! 6 years!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha!

A few days ago, I actually saw a female jumper munching down on a male lynx spider. Before letting her go I tried getting her to mate with one I'm pretty sure was a male version of her but I'll never know - she tried to eat him while he was doing his dance so I just let them both go on seperate cactus pads in my yard.

I really can't blame the spiders in my room for biting me in the middle of the night. I mean, wouldn't you bite if some gigantic clutz rolled over on you? {D

There's this newly discovered African jumping spider that actually will eat a mosquito - but only after the insect has fed on blood first! 0.0

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1011_051011_spider_vampire.html

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
haha, this thread has a thing for resurrections! {D

interesting link though, that part was pretty cool.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
am i technically resurrecting it if it's still 2009?

well i did have a point. not too long ago, in my newly-purchased condo, a tiny little sun spider came running in, no more than a half-inch long. i popped a cup over his head for a few minutes, admired his weirdness, then scooped him up and sent him off to meet interesting bugs and eat them.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
nice! i just found a good sized male about an inch long the minute i got back home from vacation! a nice welcome home gift {D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone here seen the peacock or gliding spider? I posted it on one arachnid board but I don't recall sharing it here....(?)

Yay for resurrections!