Unexpected Damon Medius Babies

entomologic

Arachnopeon
About a month ago I bought a couple of wild-caught damon medius whipspiders off of tarantulaspiders, both around 1.5-2" diagonal leg span. One of them had eggs, but they were fairly dark colored and reading threads on here I figured they weren't viable. I put her in the habitat, she didn't eat anything the whole month (whereas the other is the most brutal hunter I've ever seen :)), and I just crossed my fingers she'd molt and be okay.

Of course I was completely wrong :banghead: Today checked on her and they apparently hatched. Best pic I could get below, didn't want to disturb her too much:
whipBabies.jpg

I plan to study-up on their care this weekend, but unfortunately it's the last week of the semester and I have a ton of research due Friday by midnight :-/ Realistically my Saturday will be spent reading threads on here to prep longer term care for them.

I'm particularly worried about anything short-term to consider or procure. Should they be fed right away? Should I offer food to the mother? Do I need to get separate housing immediately? Special temperature ranges? Really anything I should do over the next 2-3 days to make sure they thrive, and anything I need to order ASAP.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
lucky you!
From what I've seen you don't really have to do anything until they come off her back, but there are a fair sized handful of people on here with a lot more knowledge on the subject.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The best thing to do for the next little while is leave them alone. Once they come off mom’s back, you can separate them and feed them - they’ll scavenge fresh kill when they’re very young, so if you don’t have pinhead crickets or flightless fruit flies, you can just chop up larger prey for them. You’ll want to have a bunch of deli cups or similar small containers ready with a bit of substrate and small pieces of thin styrofoam or cork bark for when they are ready to separate. I think you’re looking at about a week before this happens.

entomologic

Arachnopeon
Hi. Congratulations. However, this is a Phrynus whitei. Not Damon medius.
Thank you for correctly identifying it, guess the seller had it labelled wrong. Although pretty happy to get babies out of the deal!

The best thing to do for the next little while is leave them alone. Once they come off mom’s back, you can separate them and feed them - they’ll scavenge fresh kill when they’re very young, so if you don’t have pinhead crickets or flightless fruit flies, you can just chop up larger prey for them. You’ll want to have a bunch of deli cups or similar small containers ready with a bit of substrate and small pieces of thin styrofoam or cork bark for when they are ready to separate. I think you’re looking at about a week before this happens.
Appreciate the detailed advice, that sounds straight-forward enough. Any advantage to using live prey to feed them? For housing right now I'm thinking of something like this (32 oz):
41BY54nm3DL._AC_.jpg

with about 1.5" eco-earth and styrofoam down the middle, and keep one per cup? Does that sound reasonable, or anything I could do to improve?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
You're welcome - it's good to know the exact ID of your species because this will affect how you will keep them. Phrynus whitei are very aggressive towards each other, so don't let them spend too much time together unless for breeding purposes.

The setup you described sounds fine to me, you can even use smaller containers for the babies, this will help them locate their food better. Only one per cup please.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thank you for correctly identifying it, guess the seller had it labelled wrong. Although pretty happy to get babies out of the deal!

Appreciate the detailed advice, that sounds straight-forward enough. Any advantage to using live prey to feed them? For housing right now I'm thinking of something like this (32 oz):
View attachment 383990

with about 1.5" eco-earth and styrofoam down the middle, and keep one per cup? Does that sound reasonable, or anything I could do to improve?
32oz is a lot bigger than they’ll need, but will work okay if you have the space for that many 32oz cups. As Evan noted, you don’t need that much sub. The sub is mostly to maintain moisture. There’s no real downside to using prekilled prey for the very young ones, except that you don’t get to see tiny amblypygi taking down tiny prey. They won’t care either way. It does need to be very freshly killed though.

edit: annnnd the master swoops in while I’m typing.

entomologic

Arachnopeon
32oz is a lot bigger than they’ll need, but will work okay if you have the space for that many 32oz cups.
I'd much rather get what will give them the best chance, what about these (2.3"x2.3"6.2" -- about 18oz):
51VlflMMohL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I like that it's square so I can fit the styrofoam flush against the back. And can cut a square in the top part and attach mesh for some ventilation.

The sub is mostly to maintain moisture.
you could use even less substrate, they dont use it
I've been using a lot of sub for the adults, ~2" to maintain moisture. I have a very hard time keeping it high for some reason -- they hang out along the bottom more than I'd like. Likely not as big a deal for the small containers though, will try less sub and see how it goes.

It does need to be very freshly killed though.
I have to segment feeders already for some of my smaller ant colonies. Hopefully the baby whipspiders like cricket drumsticks as much as the ants do :)

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I'd much rather get what will give them the best chance, what about these (2.3"x2.3"6.2" -- about 18oz):
View attachment 383991
I like that it's square so I can fit the styrofoam flush against the back. And can cut a square in the top part and attach mesh for some ventilation.

I've been using a lot of sub for the adults, ~2" to maintain moisture. I have a very hard time keeping it high for some reason -- they hang out along the bottom more than I'd like. Likely not as big a deal for the small containers though, will try less sub and see how it goes.

I have to segment feeders already for some of my smaller ant colonies. Hopefully the baby whipspiders like cricket drumsticks as much as the ants do :)
If you're pouring water into the substrate it shouldn't be that hard to maintain

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
View attachment 383991

These boxes will work very well, and the babies will definitely enjoy cricket drumsticks.

If you're pouring water into the substrate it shouldn't be that hard to maintain
Unless you have too much ventilation maybe? The substrate in the photo at the top certainly looks well moistened, not just lightly misted like many rookies do. My adult amblypygi enclosures only have a single ventilation hole of about 1" square with a wire mesh over it (except the huge one, which has two such holes). Most pre-made enclosures will have waaaaaay too much ventilation for amblypygi.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
These boxes will work very well, and the babies will definitely enjoy cricket drumsticks.

Unless you have too much ventilation maybe? The substrate in the photo at the top certainly looks well moistened, not just lightly misted like many rookies do. My adult amblypygi enclosures only have a single ventilation hole of about 1" square with a wire mesh over it (except the huge one, which has two such holes). Most pre-made enclosures will have waaaaaay too much ventilation for amblypygi.
Its only top ventilation that messes with the moisture, i dont use any top ventilation for mine.

entomologic

Arachnopeon
Yep, I pour it in directly and have a reservoir on the side to monitor and top-off. I do have to use top ventilation because the current setup is glass. I want to redo their housing though since they're much smaller than I was expecting (since they're not damon medius).

Once I get the enclosures setup for the babies I'll post those and the adult's habitat up for any critique. I'm the one who was using a 'split' aquarium, which in hindsight has been a colossal pain (Mainly cricket escapes) although it's finally working reasonably well.

My adult amblypygi enclosures only have a single ventilation hole of about 1" square with a wire mesh over it
Will probably do the same myself going forward, and similar (with smaller squares) for the babies' enclosures.

Also, when should I offer the mother food again? Is it best to just wait until the babies are moved out, or should I offer small prey now? I know it's not a long time for amblypygi but she hasn't eaten for over a month at least.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Yep, I pour it in directly and have a reservoir on the side to monitor and top-off. I do have to use top ventilation because the current setup is glass. I want to redo their housing though since they're much smaller than I was expecting (since they're not damon medius).

Once I get the enclosures setup for the babies I'll post those and the adult's habitat up for any critique. I'm the one who was using a 'split' aquarium, which in hindsight has been a colossal pain (Mainly cricket escapes) although it's finally working reasonably well.

Will probably do the same myself going forward, and similar (with smaller squares) for the babies' enclosures.

Also, when should I offer the mother food again? Is it best to just wait until the babies are moved out, or should I offer small prey now? I know it's not a long time for amblypygi but she hasn't eaten for over a month at least.
You can offer, but I understand that they often don’t take prey at this stage.