Unexpected and AWESOME Find (RED Burrowing Spider)

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We found this beautiful little gal last night in our back yard. She was found outside of her burrow but once she saw the flashlight she quickly retreated back to her burrow where we proceeded to draw her out with a peice of grass. Her burrow went straight down and then turned making a "L" shape, if you can get the picture, LOL! She is quick and is pretty good at jumping when she wants to. We didn't catch her attacking the mealworm we fed her so we're not sure on her eating habits as of right now but sure is fiesty! :p

Heck, she could be a common burrowing spider to Florida that I just haven't come across yet but we just haven't had the time to do research this morning for an ID. She is just red, unique, and super pretty! :D

Here are a few pictures I managed to snap this morning:

* We'll take more pictures later on this afternoon too! :razz:

DoucheBgalo

Arachnopeon
I've found a couple of burrowing spiders that look like those. I don't know if they're the same species since I live in California, but I've caught a few. Putting them in jars with dirt and stuff. They're pretty awesome, though in my experience they only lived for a few months. They eat a lot of earwigs and rolypolies though.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I've found a couple of burrowing spiders that look like those. I don't know if they're the same species since I live in California, but I've caught a few. Putting them in jars with dirt and stuff. They're pretty awesome, though in my experience they only lived for a few months. They eat a lot of earwigs and rolypolies though.
Do you remember the species? I would like to do a little research, if you don't mind because I can't find much information on this little gal. :confused:

DoucheBgalo

Arachnopeon
Do you remember the species? I would like to do a little research, if you don't mind because I can't find much information on this little gal. :confused:
I'm sorry man. I didn't do a whole lot of research on what I caught. I was pretty young and I just thought that keeping them would be cool or something.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Perhaps a species of Coras ?
Thanks for the guess but it's def. not of the Genus Coras nor is she from the Amaurobiidae (Hacklemesh Weaver) Family. The eye arrangements between our unidentified gal and a Hacklemesh Weaver are completely different.

Considering her eye pattern, we are thinking she belongs to the Lycosidae Family. We're just not sure on a Genus, nor a species. I'll have to do some more investigating but we sure do appreciate the help! Thanks! :D

davisfam

Arachnoknight
sosippus.....
Hmm.. well, she wasn't found in a funnel-type of web but a burrow in the ground. Also, she hasn't formed any funnel webs in her new home but she's created a burrow therefore, I don't think the Funnel Web Wolf Spider is this little gal's ID, sorry.

Nice guess though because I found a great match between our little red gal and another within that genus, just no matches on major characteristics that are needed for a definate ID. :confused: Thanks, we appreciate the help!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Wow, what a great find!!!! She is beautiful! I will ask some friends if they are familiar with this Wolfie, maybe one of them will give you an ID, or at least an idea... will post back here soon if they know anything.
Congrats on your new pretty girl! :clap: S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I found a few pics of a Pardosa milvina that looks very very similar to your girl. Here is the link to the pics (hope the link works), check it out. Maybe your girl is such a brilliant red 'cause she is newly molted?

Let me know what you think!

PS will see the friends later today, will post their replies later.
S.

http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/wolf_spiders_genus_pardosa
Thank you soo much, we appreciate the kind words! ;) It's funny that you mention the Genus paradosa because I was doing a little searching around the internet and came to the same conclusion; Paradosa. Her legs are just so thin compared to the other Wolfiies we've come across in Florida which immediatly made me think Paradosa in the beginning but I wasn't 100% sure.

The link worked and I def. think you might have nailed it besides her coloring being so vivid although it is very likely that our little gal did just have a fresh molt right before finding her, good thinking! :worship: I'll keep a close eye on any color changes, etc. We are leaving her alone for a few days (besides meals) since she is in a new environment and needs to adjust, of course! :p

We appreciate ALL the help, such a nice favor! Thanks again and yes, please let us know if any friends have ANY information! Have a great day! :D

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Aww, shux... now I'm blushing like an :8o schoolgirl.... {D

I am always glad to help with ID's, and to hit on a positive makes it worthwhile! The Pardosas that I kept all loved Green Bottle Fly larvae, which I collect from my "Fly Breeding Traps". (That's a secret 'recipe', LOL)

Small flies such as gnats, fruit flies, houseflies, are a treat for them, but are difficult to deal with at feeding time. I always 'disabled' the flies so as to make them easier for the spiders to catch. Pinheads are great too, along with the aforementioned fly larvae.

Good luck with your Girl, and I hope she settles in well! Will reply back this evening with my friend's input. Take care and see you later! :) S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
So, I did chat with my friend about this spider, and he & his wife both agreed on Pardosa-but neither could remember if it was 'milvina'. Their Studies have led them away from Arachnology for the time being.
IMHO, I think your pretty one is exactly that, Pardosa milvina.

Good luck with her, and keep us updated on her progress! S.

:)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Have you found new info that makes you question the P. milvina ID? Actually, I have some new to share too... :?

In my pic archives, I have a Pardosa milvina... "positively ID'd".... BUT.... well, a pic will explain...

Now.... I am quite confused..... and also my brain has kicked into high gear-I want to find the correct ID for your spidie.... :wall:

Don't you agree that the pic in the link I provided looks very much like yours?

We need to put our heads together and get to the bottom of this (before I die of curiousity, LOL!)

Let me know what new info you found... I will be sooooo :8o if I led you in the wrong direction in the search for an correct ID.... S.

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hmmmm........

The more I look, the less I think your spider is an Pardosa.... :?:?:?

The eyes are not in the Pardosa's arrangement....

Yupp, I think we need to dig much deeper into this....

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Waiting for your reply before venturing any more info... :8o

S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We must think right along the exact same path because that's exactly what I was going to tell you, the eye arrangement doesn't match up with that of the Paradosa therefore I think we're wrong, daaarn it! :confused: The P. milvina does indeed look similiar to our little red lady except for the eye pattern; don't think your ID wasn't helpful, you've been a GREAT help in finding "Lady's" (her new name, LOL!) ID.. we appreciate it so much! :D

I'll keep researching and keeping you posted on what I find.. don't worry, we'll figure it out together! I have faith in us, Haa! ;)

* P.S. Sorry, we were out on the hunt most all of yesterday and today so I haven't had the chance to check in on here but we're back now! :D We have been looking for a H. carolinensis for about 3-4 weeks now and it's darn near impossible around this area so I think we're going to venture over to Ocala National Forest if time permits this weekend. No complaints about the spider hunt tho because we were able to find a beautiful Geolycosa patellonigra, she is too cute! :p Please, keep me posted as well, we appreciate it! :)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I found some pics and info that may be of some interest to you. In your original post, you stated that she was in a burrow... did the opening have any webbing whatsoever around it?

I am thinking Lady is POSSIBLY an Juvie, altho she looks adult to me. The friend I told you about, his wife said they saw a red Funnel-web spider a few years back, but he swears up & down that it was a Wolfie. This got me to thinking: Funnel-web Wolfs.... hmmm... :?

At this point I am only haphazarding a guess that MAYBE she is some type of Funnel-web Wolf... many of these are red/orange/red-brown....

When you have time, and if it is possible... can you take a few pics of her with, say, an Quarter for size comparison? Lady's ID has me stumped, and I'm going in all different 'directions' in my searches. :wall: LOL!

BTW, off-topic: I have a bunch of H. lenta slings if you're interested. Free to a good home... {D

Check out the link below, and see what you think... something tells me this is the wrong Genus, but.... these Wolfies are completely new to me and WOW... wait til you see some of them! :eek: I want one of each! :D

Good luck with your ONF search!!!! That is part of my "stomping grounds"... I can get to the Northern part of the Forest in 10 minutes! :D I hope you find tons of spidies, and you know I wanna know what you found!!! {D

Here's the link--- http://bugguide.net/node/view/88343/bgimage

PS-Don't forget something warm, the mornings will be chilly! S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
UPDATE!! (November 1st)

Our unidentified Wolfiie molted last evening; she came out of her burrow a little larger in size and looking identical to our other unidentified gal. Both are the same species but no one could determine between H. georgicola and H. aspersa. I'll post pictures tomorrow. There are pictures of the other spider located on this thread;

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=192156

ANY help would be much appreciated, THANKS!! :)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I will be quite interested to see the pics!

Congrats on the Molt! You ARE refering to Lady, right? :?

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I will be quite interested to see the pics!

Congrats on the Molt! You ARE refering to Lady, right? :?
Yes, I am speaking of "Lady" and thanks! I'll be posting pictures of her tonight after my class. I just want to know what these two specimens are that we have because no one could give a definate ID. Hmm.. :?