Unexpected and AWESOME Find (RED Burrowing Spider)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hurry, hurry, hurry!!! I am to nearly bust from anticipation, LOL!

I do so want to know what they are, also! You have no idea (well, think you DO, come to think of it, LOL) how much I've searched, and came up with nothing... :?

S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Sorry, we got caught up and completely forgot to post the new pictures of "Lady" (no ID) after her most recent molt. Here are a couple pictures of the BEAUtiful gal;

If ANYone knows an ID for this gal or can prove this is a specimen is of the species H. georgicola or H. aspersa, PLEASE, SPEAK UP! We can't find an EXACT match (disregarding the variation among abdomen patterns and coloration, of course) to either one of those species of Wolfiies. We REALLY want to know what our two Wolfiies (sub-adult and MF) are so if anyone can help, it would be MUCHOO appreciated, THANKS!! :?

Here is a photo of the MF after her most recent molt as well;

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
oh, WOOOWWW!!!!! She IS a looker! :eek:

...For some reason, I thought "Hogna miami" when I saw her pics... I have no idea why I thought that... :?

??? That can't be it, if you've narrowed down the search to geogicola or aspersa... :wall::wall::wall:

OK, I'm gonna search some info before going to bed... I wanna know what she is too!!!!

Beautiful pics of a lovely girl, davisfam! :clap::clap::clap:

And no prob about getting caught up in things, that's Life, we all do this at one point or another, LOL! {D S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
yeah, she really is soo much beautyful - just great !!!

now im curious about what she is so much that i will search again for further information.

please, what is exactly location of this found ?

oli

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

i have a question to the taxon h. georgicola. where did you get them ?
because in wsc from platnick there is no hogna georgicola listed !
seems that this taxon doesnt exist...

davisfam

Arachnoknight
hi,

i have a question to the taxon h. georgicola. where did you get them ?
because in wsc from platnick there is no hogna georgicola listed !
seems that this taxon doesnt exist...
Thanks! Both specimens were collected in our backyard here in central Florida. The first specimen was found outside roaming around, a burrow was near, but we're not 100% it belonged to her. The second specimen was found inside a burrow. Both of these specimens were caught within 2-3 weeks of each other and around the same areas in our backyard.

As far as the H. georgicola, I have found numerous documents stating the taxonomy of this species has either been changed or is being evaluated for change. H. georgicola is one of the most confusing species when it comes to online research, I can't find much helpful information.

On Florida's nature website it's listed as H. georgicola;
http://floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Hogna_georgicola

But INHS lists Allocosa georgicola as originally being described by Walckenaer as Lycosa, and now being Allocosa. Although, I still also found some publications in different journals and documents speaking of Hogna georgicola, but all lead back to the original description as Walckenaer 1837.

Another member on the boards posted this: "As of 2002 Allocosa georgicola was used, but Cor Vink noted that "Allocosa georgicola does not fit the genus Allocosa Banks 1900 as defined by Dondale & Redner (1983b)." and further notes, "The molecular evidence suggests that Allocosa georgicola belongs in a Geolycosa-like genus"

Soo, I am not exactly sure on the H. georgicola.. Maybe someone with more information will chime in and help us out! Thanks for ALL the help! :D

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
LOL, I just finished reading all those posts too! You beat me to it! {D

Another thing about all this is... many photos with H. georgicola look so much different! Even the eye patterns are different.... :? Let me find that link I was looking at, to show you an example...

It is a post from 2007, but look at the macro of the second pic....

http://www.bugnation.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=10294

IMO, those eyes look nothing like Lady's... You see what I mean? It's so hard to ID by pics alone, with so many contradicting images. :wall::wall::wall:

I did notice one other thing, but this may be of no significance...

Look the pics of your Juvie, at her 3rd and 4th pair of legs... see how thin they are compared to her 1st & 2nd pair? This suggests to be a Geolycosa... even though the difference is not obvious in Lady's pics after her molt. :?:?:?

I'm just thinking random thoughts atm, tho.... Have you studied the Geolycosas to the extent that you can rule them out?

back to :?:?:? , I think.... :wall: S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
On 2nd thought... I think my eyes and brain are playin' tricks on me.... forget the Juvie legs... :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I'm just thinking random thoughts atm, tho.. Have you studied the Geolycosas to the extent that you can rule them out?
back to :?:?:? , I think. :wall: S.
Well, we're not experts on burrowing Wolfiies but I don't think these gals are from the genus Geolycosa. Currently, we own two Geolycosa specimen's both from the same species; Geolycosa patellonigra. One is a TINY juviie and the other is what we think to be a mature adult female. As of right now, we are not certain on the gender of the juviie. I'll post pictures of them SOON.. these things are beyond adorable! Although, you must be SUPER careful with them in captivity because they tend not to have a high survival rate when in captivity. The Geolycosa's we have owned have all done very well in captivity but that's probably because we spoil our spidiies! LOL! :p

and I do agree, the H. georgicola just doesn't seem to fit. Hmm.. :wall:

revilo

Arachnoknight
:evil::evil::wall::wall::wall:
i was spending more than one hour to do research and to write a new post within this informations (zitations, genuscharacters,...) than after press the submit button everything is lost :evil:

now im not in the mood to write again.

on a very short way : i agree it's not a geolycosa because some characters doesnt fit.
take a look if your species is the "allocosa" georgicola (in case you're able to get the description) and in case it is, it's not our job to find a better fitting genus than allocosa (because i agree again that this genus doesnt fit well) - this is the job of professional taxonomists ;) mainthing than is to know that it is the georgicola (or not). revision about genus will come from alone...

edit : after further reading allocosa is maybe not so bad choose, because its considered to be a subgenus of lycosa. it was not possible to me to get the first description of this genus trough Banks, 1904.
but the genus allocosa seems to be easy to recognizable : the median apophysis of male bulbs are with two parallel spurs, a smaller one under a bigger one.

so catch a male, mate both specimens to get sure its the same species and than after death of male look close on his palps - easy, isn't it ?! LOL

cheers, oli

Last edited:

revilo

Arachnoknight
btw: does anyone knows the youtubevids from "zackscott" there are around 5vids with spider in his kittchen, in his garage, etc. ?
i like this vids a lot, he makes this little movies on a funny way and you can see nice wolfspiders - some of them are really similar to yours...

oliver

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Oliver,
I am soo sorry to hear about you losing the long and detailed post. That's happened to me quite a few times and it makes me very upset as well. :mad: I am going to send our photo's of the two specimens to a few different people for an ID but if they can't figure it out, we'll most likely have to study the genitals of our specimen to get an ID of the exact species. Otherwise, we don't really know what else to do because the internet nor the boards have enough information for an 100% definite ID for our spidiies. :(

I'll still be doing research in the meantime and we appreciate all the help from you too! It means a lot to us, we just want to know what these darn spidiies are.. it's driving me crazy! HaHa! :p