Unexpected acquisition

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well went to a family Reunion and my great uncle offered me a Palomino mare. Said they were all dumped on him and he has gotten rid of what he can. After talking to him for awhile about them that day I decided to go ahead and get her. She has been on pasture all her life with three mares and a stallion pushing her off everything, so she is a little thin. Pulled a lot of strings to get everything worked out but it all came together. Still have to get the big fence back up after I just yanked it down a few weeks ago. Figures that would bite me in the rear.

Anyway, her is Goldie a registered AQHA Palomino mare, about 3 years old, and approximately (figured by measurements only) 624 pounds. Said she is a pain about wanting to be in your hip pocket but she is super sweet. She isn't broke yet but well work on it slowly. One final kick in the rear for me was as I was loading up in the truck he told me she may have bred to the Stallion. Not sure if I really like the idea of her foaling or not yet. Let you know after she is palpated. She'll be going to the vet in a couple weeks but night now she is adjusting and being wormed.

What is left of the herd.

Unloaded and Clean.

Tiny girl

Braided up to see if we can get that mane growing. Poorly braided but she didn't do bad for never having anything like that done before.

Long tail for a pasture horse.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great to see she'll get some tlc. Very good looking.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
If you are trying to get her tail to grow, take 3 strips of fabric & wrap up each of the 3 strands of braid & braid it that way. That way each hair is protected. Wrap the top of the dock with vet wrap to keep her from rubbing on it, especially if she is wormy. If she is pregnant, the tail wrapping will help too. You can also spray on some leave-in conditioner before you braid, helps to keep it protected & makes it easier to run your hands through, not brush, when you take the tail undone to rewrap it. Kim

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good Week 4 Phillies!

:p

Purty 1 - I really like the pale coloring - does she like apples ? :D

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks Kim. I'm not sure if she is wormy but since she hasn't been wormed in awhile I am hitting her good anyway. I do need to go get some mane wraps or something else to repair that mess but I'm not worried about it either. I never figured out how to get the vet wrap to stay on a tail. If she foals it will defiantly be covered though. I really don't want to be scrubbing out after birth. I need to get her pinned up in the stall to redo the braids but I'm not in a hurry. At most she'll be a trail/ barrel horse/ pet. Have to see what she does good at. I do know I can already walk out, whistle and she comes running. Man I've realized I've forgot more about Equine than I can remember. About all I remember off hand is eohippus is the first horse, only because it was on 100 test in Equine science. {D Been a long time since we've had horses around.

Sharpfang for the time being she isn't really taking anything other than hay and grass. Little bits of 10% sweet but nothing over a few bites. She'll get the idea.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If you are trying to get her tail to grow, take 3 strips of fabric & wrap up each of the 3 strands of braid & braid it that way.
+1 :D

I grew up on a large Morgan horse show/breeding stable (and still ride and train them.) Our horses are prided for their gorgeous, long tails, and that is the method we use to keep them nice when not showing. It works really well.

She's a pretty mare, good luck with her!