uneaten mealworms pupating to beetles in enclosure

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure if this is an issue or not. Some of the mealworms I give as feeders burrowed and over time have become beetles within the enclosure. I always try to remove any uneaten worms but a few got away. Is it ok to leave the beetles in the enclosure? I know they might lay more eggs and didn't know if this would be a problem. I also try and remove the beetles if they are not eaten. I guess they would be a good way of starting a colony.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually find little sharp, black bolus's kickin around (or in) the water dish eventually......so not an issue, unless the spider is molting, and the little bugger (beetle) trys to take a bite out of the T.So jus use some discresion...if you think you need to get it out, than remove it, no big deal,...if you hear somethin crunch out of the blue, you know what it was;)

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks crawltech! Hey I saw your pics. Love your Versicolor...awsome. Got 5 versi slings coming soon as soon as they're big enough. Can't wait! Versis are so beautiful!

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This can be a serious issue, which is one reason why I don't often feed my animals mealworms, and am careful if I do. Mealworms too quickly bury themselves, and the beetles can emerge at the wrong time and do damage to molting arachnids. My wife last an amblypygid to a mealworm beetle that emerged at the wrong time - just as the ambly was molting.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That was my concern also. I wasn't sure if the beetles would bother a molting T like the crickets do. Luckily it should be awhile for my Ts to molt again, but now I know to make sure they are all out of there when molting time comes around again. Thanks.