Uneaten food

8legsletsbefriends

Arachnopeon
Hi guys , hope everyone and there T's are doing well. I Tried to feed my brachypelma ablbopilosa yesterday afternoon and to my surprise i woke up this morning to find the cricket sitting on the plant inside the enclosure. My T is around the 3.5 - 4cm mark. His/her front legs are up on the plant leaf but making no attempt to take the cricket. Should i remove the cricket or leave it there?

Thanks in advance :)

Joe

Trenor

Arachnoprince
As long as it's not in premolt you can try to feed it. It is ok to leave prey in over night. If your T doesn't eat the prey remove it the next day and try again later.

If you have more questions let me know. Good luck.

8legsletsbefriends

Arachnopeon
I just removed the cricket , had a look i think the T is in premolt the abdomen is looking abit bald also dark.. Exciting times i have 2 tarantulas this will be the first to moult in my care! :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can remember seeing a T molt for the 1st time. It's a cool thing to watch.

What's your other T?

petkokc

Arachnosquire
With time you will know which of your species just need more encouragement to catch something and which one will eat immediately. Then it will be more clear if you should just leave a pray over night or remove it as soon as you see that tarantula have no intention of eating. I usually always remove a prey item if tarantula don't eat in like 5 min. Don't want to give opportunity to a cockroach to hide somewhere in the substrate or between corkbark.

8legsletsbefriends

Arachnopeon
My other T is a grammostola porteri aldut female , never had a problem feeding her. She is always straight on the prey lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice, let us know if you need anything else. Enjoy your Ts.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For most of mine, I remove crix/roaches within the hour if they don't tag their prey. I only have a couple Ts that burrow, and I will give them longer to emerge before removing prey. Through observation (knowing who moulted/due to moult/who is fasting), I just sorta know who will take prey and who won't. Saves a LOT of time.