Undead

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. seemanii, a pretty big creature with no hooks, started acting very wierd about 8 weeks ago. It suddenly became very skittish, started throwing hair, and stopped eating. Its abdomen however, remained beige. It spent a lot of time in the water dish, although the enclosure is quite damp. I asked a lot of people, I tried a lot of things, and then I just waited. About a week ago it went into its hide and curled all the legs under it. If I opened the lid, it barely moved. Since I was sure it was dying, I decided to leave it alone until it started to stink. It even began to smell awful on the 6th day. But then the stench abated (and I was too busy to plan a burial the day of the smell) and now the legs are back in the normal position, although it is still hiding.

I guess I am just posting this as information - I am currently curious as to what is next, and glad I did not put it in the freezer to euthanize it, which I did consider.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmmm....quite interesting....are you sure it ISNT dead? have you seen it move? youll have to keep us posted!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, check to make sure its alive. Nudge it with something or blow some air on it. After they have been dead for a while the legs may straighten out as it decomposes.

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it is moving a little, and strikes a threat pose if I lift the tank cover.

Last edited:

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that actually sounds surprisingly like my seemani, except he's been acting like that for the past 2+ years. I've had mine for 4 years now and he has molted once in that time. Shortly after his molt he was acting normal, eating well, etc, but then he fell and broke the last digit of one back leg off. He was understandably grumpy for a bit and flicked all his hair off.
Then he started acting weird. He pulled every single rock out of his water dish and webbed them to the wall. He then refused to leave the water dish so we had to give him another one for his water. He completely stopped eating, but never shed and we just assumed he was on his way out. That was 2 years ago so he must be eating something since his abdomen is still big (and bald) although we have never seen him eat. He hovers over his water dish constantly, but still reacts when we go to touch him or pick him up. His back leg with the missing digit has atrophied a good deal and his other back leg isn't much use either and he usually holds that leg under him with no weight supported on it. Part of me wonders if he is suffering somehow and should be put out of his misery while the other part of me is curious if he will ever molt out and stop being broken. Dunno. :wall:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that actually sounds surprisingly like my seemani, except he's been acting like that for the past 2+ years. I've had mine for 4 years now and he has molted once in that time. Shortly after his molt he was acting normal, eating well, etc, but then he fell and broke the last digit of one back leg off. He was understandably grumpy for a bit and flicked all his hair off.
Then he started acting weird. He pulled every single rock out of his water dish and webbed them to the wall. He then refused to leave the water dish so we had to give him another one for his water. He completely stopped eating, but never shed and we just assumed he was on his way out. That was 2 years ago so he must be eating something since his abdomen is still big (and bald) although we have never seen him eat. He hovers over his water dish constantly, but still reacts when we go to touch him or pick him up. His back leg with the missing digit has atrophied a good deal and his other back leg isn't much use either and he usually holds that leg under him with no weight supported on it. Part of me wonders if he is suffering somehow and should be put out of his misery while the other part of me is curious if he will ever molt out and stop being broken. Dunno. :wall:

it webbed its water dish rocks to the wall?! that IS strange!!! lol!!! that must have been quite a sight though...and quite suprising to stumble on!