Unboxing

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I've never ordered a spider online. (I'd like to.) But I'm nervous about unboxing them. Do you all just 'unplug' them and let them come out when they feel like it? Or do you immediately unwrap them? What if they're content in their cocoon? Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i unwrap mine completely, regardless of species. i just do in a large shoebox with a few catch cups nearby so im prepared if any bolt. which has never happened by the way. just take your time and be careful.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, take them out, you want to check them out so that if there's an issue you can contact the seller, and if there's no problem and everyone's good, chances are the seller would like to know that asap.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I depends on how the T is for me. Both my H. Mac and Poecilotheria Tigrinawesseli went into instant threat pose when I removed the paper towel lid. So I just left the tub in their enclosures for them to calm down and come out in their own time. I don't like to stress them. They usually wander out pretty quickly looking for a bit of darkness.

My Poecilotheria Subfusca Lowland was completely different and was very calm so I gently encouraged her to leave the tub. My Macrothele Gigas slings and my 2 Gandanameno sp where tiny so they where easy enough to transfer.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
It's best to completely open them and inspect the animals to make sure they are in good condition. If you can do that without completely removing them from their shipping container and decide to let them come out on their own, that is fine as well.
I personally prefer to remove them as soon as possible because many times after shipping the animals can be slightly dehydrated and could use a nice drink of water.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I move all my Ts into catch cups when I unpack them. This lets me make sure they are healthy and moving around ok. It also lets me gauge the size (some are bigger than expected some smaller) and ensure the enclosure I have prepared will work for the T I got. I let the seller know if everything is good then it's usually easy to transfer them from the catch cups to the enclosures.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
i unwrap mine completely, regardless of species. i just do in a large shoebox with a few catch cups nearby so im prepared if any bolt. which has never happened by the way. just take your time and be careful.
I second this.

Stay calm and alert and everything should be good.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Thank you all! I will unwrap it gently and carefully inside a plastic bin, just in case. Still kinda nervous about that part, but definitely more confident with good advice on my side!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you all! I will unwrap it gently and carefully inside a plastic bin, just in case. Still kinda nervous about that part, but definitely more confident with good advice on my side!
If you have some tongs or tweezers, be sure to use them. I've found them to be invaluable to unpacking and general tarantula maintenence. Good luck!