Un-paralyzing of Tarantula stung by Pepsis Wasp (Tarantula Hawk)

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
On July 5th of 2022 I obtained a wild tarantula which was being dragged by a Pepsis Spider Wasp aka. The tarantula hawk for an experiment on if I could get a tarantula back to full health after being paralyzed. I put this tarantula in a high humidity enclosure with a slight constriction of air flow (of coarse not total constriction) as to keep humidity high. Everyday to every other day I would open the container to test the movement level and sensory levels of the tarantula and I also dropped more water into the container. Skip forward (after slowly gaining the capability of moving) to today and the tarantula is currently eating a giant mealworm and has regained full motion (slow motion I will say) and has been able to dig a burrow (well customize a pre made burrow) and drink. I will add to this thread with an further updates.

Attachments

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Although I wouldn't personally do this, hoping it pulls through for you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The venom is meant to paralyze the T so the single larvae can eat it alive if I recall correctly

Glad you rescued it

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
The venom is meant to paralyze the T so the single larvae can eat it alive if I recall correctly

Glad you rescued it
Yes! So basically the tarantula is paralyzed and then dragged down to the wasp’s burrow where it then lays an egg on the tarantula. Then the larvae which hatches from said egg proceeds to eat the tarantula alive. A fun (well not really fun) fact is that the larvae will avoid eating the vital organs of the tarantula to keep it alive for as long as possible.

Pam L

Arachnopeon
Hi ZGuy - I also rescued a wild tarantula from a Tarantula hawk on September 12th. I have placed wet papers towels in the box daily and I have been turning him over once or twice a day and dropping water droplets on his mouth which he has been drinking. He can and has wiggled his legs - but that's about it. How long can he go without eating?? Monday will be three weeks ?? Any advice welcome.
Thanks!

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How long can he go without eating??
Depending on size and species, months to a year, or even more. As long as it keeps drinking, it'll be fine for a long time. Nothing else you can do until it is able to move enough to scavenge. Once it can move its legs/palps and chelicerae, you can try offering pre-killed prey, but there's no rush especially if its abdomen is a decent size.

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much - feel better with this information.
Yeah, mine was not able to move for a solid month and a week. It’s gonna be a long ride ahead. Good luck and post any updates here!

Pam L

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

Update on my rehabbing venture that began September 12th – 8 weeks now. . “Tony” is doing fine – wiggling his legs when on his back – walking around the box – actually trying to climb the side of the box. I have attached a photo. BUT as far as I can tell not much in the way of food – I tried to do a cricket soup and drop it on his mouth and finally did absorb it. I do flip him on his back and give him a couple of drops of water every day. His mouth does work as does his wiggling legs and he does walk. I got some moist freeze dried crickets to see if he would eat them – he did not. Did crush them and made a little watery substance – and got him to take some of that in a dropper – that’s it. Don't k now if you can tell from the photos how long he can go without food?

At what point do I release him back outside since he seems to able to walk etc?? Any advice on this?
Thanks everyone -

Attachments

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would not release him until he is able to hunt effectively... That would require the ability to climb, burrow, web, and move fast. Have you noticed him grooming at all? You might see more normal behavior if you're able to keep him with some substrate he can dig in. If he can walk around, give him a water dish and see if he'll drink on his own instead of flipping him?

His abdomen looks like a reasonably proportional size, so I wouldn't worry about him not eating.

Katya

Arachnopeon
On July 5th of 2022 I obtained a wild tarantula which was being dragged by a Pepsis Spider Wasp aka. The tarantula hawk for an experiment on if I could get a tarantula back to full health after being paralyzed. I put this tarantula in a high humidity enclosure with a slight constriction of air flow (of coarse not total constriction) as to keep humidity high. Everyday to every other day I would open the container to test the movement level and sensory levels of the tarantula and I also dropped more water into the container. Skip forward (after slowly gaining the capability of moving) to today and the tarantula is currently eating a giant mealworm and has regained full motion (slow motion I will say) and has been able to dig a burrow (well customize a pre made burrow) and drink. I will add to this thread with an further updates.
Well done, thank you for rescuing it :) :)

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Question: How did you take it from the tarantula hawk? Did you find it just lying there, or something else? :geek:
They say in the OP it was being dragged by the wasp, but I was wondering how they separated the T from it without angering the wasp into some kind of retributive consequence. I would not like to be stung by one of those.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello all,

Update on my rehabbing venture that began September 12th – 8 weeks now. . “Tony” is doing fine – wiggling his legs when on his back – walking around the box – actually trying to climb the side of the box. I have attached a photo. BUT as far as I can tell not much in the way of food – I tried to do a cricket soup and drop it on his mouth and finally did absorb it. I do flip him on his back and give him a couple of drops of water every day. His mouth does work as does his wiggling legs and he does walk. I got some moist freeze dried crickets to see if he would eat them – he did not. Did crush them and made a little watery substance – and got him to take some of that in a dropper – that’s it. Don't k now if you can tell from the photos how long he can go without food?

At what point do I release him back outside since he seems to able to walk etc?? Any advice on this?
Thanks everyone -
This is a mature male, probably will eat little to nothing until he dies. In the wild he would probably die this winter, but in captivity might live for a decent amount of time

Pam L

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for the info! I have had a small water dish - actually a lid to a cat food can full of water - I only found him in it once - on his back as well!?? That was some time ago - I have had it in there from the start and continue to dampen paper towels and keep them in the box. Regarding the suggestion of substrate would that just be placing some dirt in the box?? Like I said all this is new to me - if he is an "old guy" as well not sure if trying to get him to hunt would work - sorta between a rock and hard place here I guess??? I have attached a photo of when we found him - the wasp was not on him but certainly appeared to have stung him - so we just scooped him up and dispatched the wasp. Let me know if I should try the substrate for awhile and see his response?? Thanks again all!!

Attachments

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
This is a mature male, probably will eat little to nothing until he dies. In the wild he would probably die this winter, but in captivity might live for a decent amount of time
It is not a mature male. There are no hooks.

edit: my apologies I thought you were talking about my T.

Last edited:

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
They say in the OP it was being dragged by the wasp, but I was wondering how they separated the T from it without angering the wasp into some kind of retributive consequence. I would not like to be stung by one of those.
I put aTupperware container over the T and made the wasp release by poking it with my finger. It took about 15 minutes before the wasp stopped trying to get into the container.