Ultra noob question

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Poecilotheria is a genus that is referred to as 'Old World". Meaning they come from Asia, Africa,etc. rather than the Americas,Mexico,etc. They usually don't have urticating hairs (maybe none do, but I think at least one species does) and have a more potent venom. Thy tend to bite first and ask questions later when feeling threatened unlike the 'New World' T reputation. Arboreal in nature, and among the most beautiful T's in the world. I have none and won't.;) There are many on here that can give you more info.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not aware of any old world species that have urticating hairs.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Me neither,but I couldn't remember if one was mentioned a while back or not.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Poecilotheria is a genus that is referred to as 'Old World". Meaning they come from Asia, Africa,etc. rather than the Americas,Mexico,etc. .
Mexico is in North America :) ;)

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As well they tend to be a bit more flighty but that could be argued. Additionally, as many keepers will tell you they have the ability to 'teleport'. Their speed is nothing short of incredible. I have a Poecilotheria miranda that when I was rehousing, I opened her container and she ran all the way across the room before I could even blink. Until you are confident you can manage something so fast, with higher than average venom please wait.

They are some of the most beautiful T's there are. I have 5 different species and am hoping to acquire one of each (that are available in the pet trade).

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
I'm sure he was just pointing out that since Mexico is part of "the Americas" there is no need to differentiate between the two.