UK laws regarding live vert. prey

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am planning on writing something about feeding live vert. prey to T's from an ethical standpoint. For any of the UK members, do you know where I can find some info on the laws concerning this in the UK? I am trying to get some info on the subject and don't know quite where to turn. Thanx in advance.

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi sorry i can not help :? but from my ethical standpoint i think its sick and disgusting i am NOT having a go at you this is just MY opinion on it --- phil

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To Phil Jones,
If you remove something from nature, you must provide for it as nature does.
I am guessing you are either a vegetarian, or really don't like to think about that burger or piece of chicken you are eating.
DO you have pets? I am assuming you do, since you have 338 posts and area member of the arachnoboards group.

I once was helping out when a pet store was closed for neglect of its animals.
There were three different agencies helping, the County animal control, City animal control and Humane Society..
I was at the City building. An officer was wondering what a young snake needed to eat. I told her a pinky mouse. She got very angry and said, "Any one who feeds a mouse to a snake, that is animal cruelty."
No THAT is nature. Snakes and other "vermin" control bugs, rodents and other pests.
If you take an animal from its natural environment, you must provide it with sustanence. Whether the prey is dead or alive.
Is there a difference if you kill the prey OR if the animal does?
Ask yourself that.

Hedorah,
I would contact your local zoo, or university. I am sure they would know the laws pertaining to feeding vertebrate prey to animals. Also check your local humane society.
There may be in some places an old out of date, no longer enforced law or code.. but you may have to dig for it..

T-Chick

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hi sorry i can not help :? but from my ethical standpoint i think its sick and disgusting i am NOT having a go at you this is just MY opinion on it --- phil
Why its natural, predators eat prey. Thats how it is and always will be. I understand it's your opinion but I just don't understand why people think its sick.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To Phil Jones,
I am guessing you are either a vegetarian, or really don't like to think about that burger or piece of chicken you are eating.
DO you have pets? I am assuming you do, since you have 338 posts and area member of the arachnoboards group.

There were three different agencies helping, the County animal control, City animal control and Humane Society..
I was at the City building. An officer was wondering what a young snake needed to eat. I told her a pinky mouse. She got very angry and said, "Any one who feeds a mouse to a snake, that is animal cruelty."
No THAT is nature. Snakes and other "vermin" control bugs, rodents and other pests.
If you take an animal from its natural environment, you must provide it with sustanence. Whether the prey is dead or alive.
Ask yourself that.

Hedorah,
I would contact your local zoo, or university. I am sure they would know the laws pertaining to feeding vertebrate prey to animals. Also check your local humane society.
There may be in some places an old out of date, no longer enforced law or code.. but you may have to dig for it..

T-Chick

T chick, please read the question. I was asking if anyone knew the UK laws, or if they knew where i could look them up. I have no idea what branch of the UK government would be analogous to our USDA or DEP. I work at a zoo and am very familiar with the AZA and AAZK stances on feeidng live vertebrate prey. I know it is illegal to do so in the UK but am trying to find out what the exact law is.

And for the record, I am against feeding live vertebrate prey to invertebrates save for some exceptions. I am not discussing this here.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The only problem I have with feeding mice to a T is the smell of the leftovers, other vertebrate prey is great though. While expensive, anoles are good for arboreal Ts that crickets can't get to because of the location of their nest, but the anole climbs right on up near the spider.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
feeding alive i think is sick and i do eat meat and that is very dead and lol yes i do have pets i was thinking of tarantulas only and now i think about over here the u/k you can be prosecute thank god --- phil

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe this has probably sparked a debate :p

i was thinking....how are the frozen pinkies that are sold killed? if they are killed by a person then frozen i dont see why they cant be sold live and killed by a tarantula.

even though it is against the law here in the UK probably 90% of T owners will do it.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To Phil Jones,

Ask yourself that.

Hedorah,

T-Chick
Sing it loud Chick

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm in the UK and believe that feeding live vertebrate prey to your T or Scorpion is, if on occasion, not a bad thing. If certain T owners feel otherwise then perhaps they have something in common with the non T owners who think that owning T's are weird.
Slightly self-contradictory if you will. :} :D

M13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware, It's illegal to feed live pray to pets in the UK.

Kain

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware, It's illegal to feed live pray to pets in the UK.

Kain
well done i agree 100 % and we all have opinions and just because we do not agree do not make us wrong or right :clap: :clap: :) :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep, its illegal, fraid it might be an idea to contact RSPCA about the sub, they could tell you more
Just my tuppence on it, I dont have a problem.. Other than the time it takes for the food to actually be killed.n I dont think the animal shud suffer.
I tell you what really is sick, people that stun the food, or break out its teeth THAT is disgusting...jsut my opin
I will never feed live verts to my Ts, its not an efficient death.
Anywho...near enough no pets require fed live verts, pre-killed is readily accepted by them. Hence, in the UK we have a pretty damn gorgeous and diverse range of fauna with no real feeding issues.
aint saying no more, this has already gone from the threads point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this has already gone from the threads point
Agreed! He was asking for help regarding laws. Not peoples opinions on doing it or not.

Sorry, I am of no help, Hedorah, I wouldn't know where to look either being from the States.

~Fred

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanx to everyone who answered the question or sent me in the right direction. :clap:

And to T chick. I work at a zoo and I have live tigers to feed. I do provide for them as close as I can to nature, but I am not dropping live pigs and mountain goats in there on a weekly basis.

Last edited: