UK denizens - recommend me an adult terrestrial display enclosure please

TheHound

Arachnoknight
As per the thread title - looking for recommendations, please. I have a Tlictocatl sabulosum that will soon need its final enclosure. I would like something that looks good - probably acryllic or glass. Apart from getting an Exo Terra and modding it, what are the best options I have available in the UK? Struggling to find something suitable that looks good.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
As per the thread title - looking for recommendations, please. I have a Tlictocatl sabulosum that will soon need its final enclosure. I would like something that looks good - probably acryllic or glass. Apart from getting an Exo Terra and modding it, what are the best options I have available in the UK? Struggling to find something suitable that looks good.
So, I'm not in the UK. I have no idea if you guys have Hobby Lobby or some equivalent, but if you do, most stores like that have crystal clear model car cases that work very well. Hope that helps!

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Try speaking to the guy who runs Tarantula Rooms Ltd, he replies through FB pretty quickly. I really like their acrylic enclosures! Several types and sizes (pretty sure he's helped people with custom sizing also)
~50% cheaper then Exoterra and no modification needed (although I have seen people adding more ventilation holes)
Currently have a juvi T. albopilosus, SAF C. KK and SAF P. metallica all in T Room enclosures :)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Build your own?

Pretty easy to build and you can customize them to your likings. Time before tropical factory uk had very good glass enclosures, that will last forever, but I'm not sure if still have them.

If it's useful for you, I made one for 40 bucks in material.

IMG_20200523_002020.jpg

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Try speaking to the guy who runs Tarantula Rooms Ltd, he replies through FB pretty quickly. I really like their acrylic enclosures! Several types and sizes (pretty sure he's helped people with custom sizing also)
~50% cheaper then Exoterra and no modification needed (although I have seen people adding more ventilation holes)
Currently have a juvi T. albopilosus, SAF C. KK and SAF P. metallica all in T Room enclosures :)
I've looked at those before and they seem potentially good. Reservations are there is only ventilation on top, and the top ventilation lools a bit mesh-like.

Can I ask for a bit of further input from you?

I assume you have not personally noticed any issue with only top ventilation? Also how is the mesh - is it like the Exo Terras? Or is it done in a way so as not to be a danger the way they are on Exo Terras?

Build your own?

Pretty easy to build and you can customize them to your likings. Time before tropical factory uk had very good glass enclosures, that will last forever, but I'm not sure if still have them.

If it's useful for you, I made one for 40 bucks in material.
Sadly it seems Tropical Factory UK are no more. Thanks for the diagram - I am hopeless at DIY, and lack the time in truth, but could look at that in a pinch.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I've looked at those before and they seem potentially good. Reservations are there is only ventilation on top, and the top ventilation lools a bit mesh-like.

I assume you have not personally noticed any issue with only top ventilation? Also how is the mesh - is it like the Exo Terras? Or is it done in a way so as not to be a danger the way they are on Exo Terras?

Sadly it seems Tropical Factory UK are no more. Thanks for the diagram - I am hopeless at DIY, and lack the time in truth, but could look at that in a pinch.
You are welcome!

Dartfrogs.co.uk used to have them too, or they were made to order. You can take a look or make a call too.

They will solve your problem with top ventilation, as they have a very good system with ample of low and top ventilation. If dartfrogs still make them, I'd suggest to increase the door support height, to allow a bit more substrate.

Here you can see both grilles:
IMG_MJL_Ⓜ️ Megapix🚀_20200113_000806.jpg

They are capable of keeping humidity under control passively, depending on your house conditions of course. I have two fans on top for the really humid summers we have.

original_250afeb4-3cee-4ff4-b5ce-6fa193dbb5d0_IMG_20211118_141027.jpg

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight

Entirely different type of mesh, no risk of catching toe hooks (I'll get some close ups of the mesh once I'm home)

I've had zero issues with ventilation, can always drill/solder in a few extra holes at soil level or just above. The guy who owns TR successfully keeps/breeds Avics etc no problem at all with NO EXTRA VENTILATION.
As long as you're not planning it to be swampy in there should be all good!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Entirely different type of mesh, no risk of catching toe hooks (I'll get some close ups of the mesh once I'm home)

I've had zero issues with ventilation, can always drill/solder in a few extra holes at soil level or just above. The guy who owns TR successfully keeps/breeds Avics etc no problem at all with NO EXTRA VENTILATION.
Yeah and he does it in a controlled environment, where he provides the needed humidity directly from the air, so it doesn't need any aditional moisture source, so it can "ditch" some ventilation.

It's a bit infuriating to see those dissinformative post in order to sell more. One loose credibility doing those things, same when he sells arboreal enclosures for terrestrial Ts or vice versa, and still says they are fine.

The enclosure itself are well designed, and I like them, but they won't work in every conditions without modding them, because not everyone keeps their Ts in controlled environments neither at the same conditions.

You can clearly see how many mold issues have those enclosures. And that's for a reason.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I keep my Ts in a room that is temperature-controlled by a space heater. I provide water dishes to them all. I don't measure or try and control humidity generally. Any thoughts on whether those TR enclosures would need some side ventilation modded in in that scenario?

Also, 30x30x30cm or 34x34x30 for an adult T sabulosum?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I keep my Ts in a room that is temperature-controlled by a space heater. I provide water dishes to them all. I don't measure or try and control humidity generally
With controlled environment I don't only mean temperature, humidity too.

If you heat the room, you should control the humidity if you are going to use those enclosures, because when you heat the room you are making it drier. To counteract that dryness you someway should add humidity to that room, or you'll need to add moisture to the enclosure in order to counteract it. And to add moisture to the enclosure, you need ventilation to prevent issues, thing that those enclosure lack without modding them.

You can get them here:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Also, 30x30x30cm or 34x34x30 for an adult T sabulosum?
If space is not an issue, I'd go for 40x40x30 if you want a nice enclosure with different conditions and gradients.

If not any of them.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
With controlled environment I don't only mean temperature, humidity too.

If you heat the room, you should control the humidity if you are going to use those enclosures, because when you heat the room you are making it drier. To counteract that dryness you someway should add humidity to that room, or you'll need to add moisture to the enclosure in order to counteract it. And to add moisture to the enclosure, you need ventilation to prevent issues, thing that those enclosure lack without modding them.

You can get them here:
Makes sense. I think it would be easy to add some ventilation with a hot needle, in any case.

If space is not an issue, I'd go for 40x40x30 if you want a nice enclosure with different conditions and gradients.

If not any of them.
I think 34x34x30 is the largest they do. But you reckon even the 30x30x30 would be adequate?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Makes sense. I think it would be easy to add some ventilation with a hot needle, in any case.
An acrylic drill will give you nicer results. Simply drill steady and with low pressure.
I think 34x34x30 is the largest they do. But you reckon even the 30x30x30 would be adequate?
30x30 it'd be the bare minimum for me, being 34x34 one a better option.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Yeah and he does it in a controlled environment, where he provides the needed humidity directly from the air, so it doesn't need any aditional moisture source, so it can "ditch" some ventilation.
Ah hah! Keeps that relatively quiet then I see. Hadn't seen anything re. incorrect set ups, my albo is in technically an arboreal set up.....just FULL of dirt 😂

Thanks for explaining. Make a lot of sense for the more moisture dependant species as well. Surely not too difficult or costly to offer more ventilated versions?

Can't say I've had any mould issues but mine are in the kitchen which stays above 20 celcius all year and room humidity sits fairly constantly around 60%. Water dish and the occasional soil moisten seems to do the job for species I mentioned above anyway! :)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Ah hah! Keeps that relatively quiet then I see. Hadn't seen anything re. incorrect set ups, my albo is in technically an arboreal set up.....just FULL of dirt 😂

Thanks for explaining. Make a lot of sense for the more moisture dependant species as well. Surely not too difficult or costly to offer more ventilated versions?

Can't say I've had any mould issues but mine are in the kitchen which stays above 20 celcius all year and room humidity sits fairly constantly around 60%. Water dish and the occasional soil moisten seems to do the job for species I mentioned above anyway! :)
Yeah, little info that makes a HUGE difference.

Don't know if the enclosures are cast or extruded, but adding a row of holes wouldn't be too expensive. I asked him about enclosures with more ventilation holes, because I was interested, and they started those stupid posts... And unfortunatelly they are getting people confused and dissinforming them, as I advise them.

If you are keeping your Ts on the drier side (substrate wise) like he does, thanks to your climate or the type of setup you are currently using, the hole on top is enough to provide the desired ventilation. But, add moisture, for whatever reason, and that ventilation hole won't be enough to provide enough ventilation in order to not to have too humid conditions, mold issues etc.

Last edited:

TheHound

Arachnoknight

Hi AlbaArachnids - would it be possible to get those close-ups of the mesh you mentioned in this post, please? Curious on how it differs from the Exo Terras.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Apologies, completely forgot, I've set a reminder for when I'm home this evening

Hi AlbaArachnids - would it be possible to get those close-ups of the mesh you mentioned in this post, please? Curious on how it differs from the Exo Terras.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I hope this image helps, there are no exposed overlapping wires (culperates of toe hook catching)
I'm unsure if this is just a covered mesh or just a punched out single sheet of metal :)

20220121_172051.jpg

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Thank you! Very helpful.

Now I just need to work out about the side ventilation. I'm a little concerned about buying an enclosure, trying to drill it and ending up ruining it. With an already-constructed enclosure you cannot lay the side you want to drill on a hard surface (as appears to be generally advised), as when you lay the enclosure on its side the side facing you will of course be off the ground, and you can't do it the other way unless the drill fits within the enclosure.

But @Dorifto's comments confuse me a little, as people on here are always saying how worrying about humidity levels is pointless. I'm not in any position to directly contradict someone who is likely far more experienced than me in tarantula keeping, but I wonder if it would be a broad consensus on here that these enclosures really need them? Dorifto I appreciate your contributions and hope you don't take offence - I'm merely speculating from my position of confusion. Please feel free to disabuse me of this or comment further!

And if so, why the hell would Tarantula Room make enclosures specifically for tarantulas without already including the side ventilation holes? I find that notion somewhat baffling.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Thank you! Very helpful.

Now I just need to work out about the side ventilation. I'm a little concerned about buying an enclosure, trying to drill it and ending up ruining it. With an already-constructed enclosure you cannot lay the side you want to drill on a hard surface (as appears to be generally advised), as when you lay the enclosure on its side the side facing you will of course be off the ground, and you can't do it the other way unless the drill fits within the enclosure.

But @Dorifto's comments confuse me a little, as people on here are always saying how worrying about humidity levels is pointless. I'm not in any position to directly contradict someone who is likely far more experienced than me in tarantula keeping, but I wonder if it would be a broad consensus on here that these enclosures really need them? Dorifto I appreciate your contributions and hope you don't take offence - I'm merely speculating from my position of confusion. Please feel free to disabuse me of this or comment further!

And if so, why the hell would Tarantula Room make enclosures specifically for tarantulas without already including the side ventilation holes? I find that notion somewhat baffling.
I think the main point was these enclosures will not work as are for everyone's environment. If you're home is generally high humidity and need to add water to the substrate, the top ventilation alone will not allow adequate airflow and in turn fail to stop the air becoming stagnant and promoting mould growth. This is where my technical understanding starts running out though :rofl:
From my experience keeping Tlitolocatl, Chilobrachys and a pokie in these enclosures, in central Scotland, I've found it not to be an issue for me.

As for hole punching/drilling, although I've not done any alterations myself, I actually got a small hand held drill from amazon for about 20quid, it's def small enough to drill from inside the enclosures and handily comes with a 3mm and 4mm plastic/soft wood bit.
Soldering iron would work too, not as easy to get a nice finish though.