Uh oh! Solifugid = gravid

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The eggs are very visible. Maybe I'll get up off my ass and take pics. Anyway, I desperately need info on how to raise them, what they look like, whether I need to take precautions against them escaping (there's lots of ventilation in her cage right now, because that's what I read is good), etc. Will they eat dead/chopped up crickets like baby widows will?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The adult is less than an inch long, much smaller than those ones. You think pinheads are ok?

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
which species is it that you have? Normally pinheads are OK. They have rather large larvae.

larva

"spiderling"
You have to take care that there aren't any mites in the terrarium. They are very sensitive for mites!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've read up on them and it says that the first instar are unmoving. It is suspected that the female protects them during this time.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leila - Where did you read about them?

Does anyone know stuff like when I should take them out, how long between laying and hatching, etc.? Do the individuals need to be in separate containers?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just searched around the internet. Galapheros I believe has had larvae as well so it wouldn't hurt to ask him. At least I think it was Galapheros that told me he did {D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Something inside is moving. But I thought they laid their eggs, and then the eggs hatch. Are there any that have eggs with legs and birth larvae? Or maybe she's making more eggs and some part of egg production is visible?

Or are these nasty mite-type invaders?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! I've always wondered what the larvae looked like! Those are weird looking! Makes me want a few.....to bad my mom wouldn't want anything of the sort in her house. She doesn't like Insects and their kin in the house. Only lady bugs and butterflies ( which I've raised over the years ).

I love keeping hermit crabs and I've had many over the years. Wishing you luck with mommy and her kids. Make sure they behave themselves k? ;P

Black Widow88

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm assuming they're not going to hatch and grow successfully, seeing as so few people who are actually good at this stuff have managed to. I'm 16, have never raised anything from an egg, have never dealt with pinheads or dead prey, and don't even know the genus of the solifugid.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is what her hide looks like right now. It's on 100% sand.

Any more advice or links on raising these would be appreciated like you wouldn't believe.

Another guess for the motion inside the mother - could digestive organs or something like that moving (maybe sloshing around hemolymph) be visible when they're gravid?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Solifugid laying eggs right now

I've been checking occasionally to see if she's laid the eggs, so I can move her to another container (now that I think about it, if they die soon after egg-laying they probably won't eat the eggs, but i'm stupid). Anyway, I chose to do it at a bad time. There are some orange, clumped-together egg-looking things that I've put on a damp paper towel. They were attached to the underside of the hide. There are more eggs left in her. What do I do? (when should i lift the hide again, should i leave them attached to it, etc.)

Last edited:

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been checking occasionally to see if she's laid the eggs, so I can move her to another container (now that I think about it, if they die soon after egg-laying they probably won't eat the eggs, but i'm stupid). Anyway, I chose to do it at a bad time. There are some orange, clumped-together egg-looking things that I've put on a damp paper towel. They were attached to the underside of the hide. There are more eggs left in her. What do I do? (when should i lift the hide again, should i leave them attached to it, etc.)
Just leave her alone while she is laying. You don't want to upset her. It is the best advice I have. I don't know of any mom that appreciates being interupted while giving birth...

I don't know what to do with the eggs at all, I am really not experianced there. I have done some google searches, but I can't vouch for them. So you may want to try doing a search or two of your own...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She died last night (unless they go through some temporary total paralysis when egg-laying). I'll assume the eggs that aren't still in her have been eaten, because she couldn't have dug anything in the sand. What do you think the orange things are? (The eggs she had looked white).

Last edited:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got around to taking pictures of the orange things... what do you think they are?

the whole mass is about 3 mm long.

and who was it who wants dead specimens?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! Sorry to hear that! :( I have no clue as to what those are but they do look like eggs.

Black Widow88

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there is a dude on ATS that wants dead sun spiders. Zach Velois, iirc.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But what does that have to do to with the orange thingies? Are you saying that they're dead sun spider eggs? :?

Black Widow88