Uh Oh! An egg sac??

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

Lately my A.seemanni has burrowed to the bottom of her substrate under her 1/2 clay pot and has kept the entrance webbed off for about a week. I took a look at her this morning and the web was so thick it was nearly opaque. It looked like she was in the middle of a big tennis-ball made of webbing and i could sort of see her inside the "tennis ball" turning around spinning more web inside. All this was done in her burrow - it is up against the glass so i can just slide a piece of cardboard out of the way when i want to observe her in the burrow. I thought this might be a molt nest at first but that was an awful lot of webbing for just a molt.

Anyways, i get home from school today and go to check on her - she is sitting on top of a ping pong ball sized web ball, maybe a bit smaller, that has some a bit of dirt on it. It looked to me like an egg sac. I am pretty sure this spider was wild caught, but I received her in December. I doubt it is just a rolled up ball of silk because considering the amount of web she spun, there must of been a reason for it. Does this sound like the production of an egg sac to you? Any well to tell for sure? I know that lots of the time the egg sac is infertile or the mother eats it but the area i have the absolute least experience is egg sacs and breeding, etc.

Any help would appreciated, I can probably get an OK picture if that would help, but i'd have to take it through glass and a bit of webbing.

Thanks,

Mark

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, got me.....It does sound like an eggsac, but you say that you got her in December? Thats odd.....mybe she was just bored and decided to make a giant ball of silk so she can play with it(Thats what I would do if I was a T :))....You never know what she is thinking, I often wonder if other humans think...people just dont know.....

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What you described matches just about every eggsac production I've ever witnessed. Congratulations and good luck!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uh oh lol - I guess i will have to contact Stan Schultz (lives here in Calgary, Alberta) and see if he can help me out because he has incubators.

Anyways, anything I need to do? Do temp or humidity need to be raised?

Any help appreciated because I am 100% new egg sacs, etc.

Mark

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Uh oh lol - I guess i will have to contact Stan Schultz (lives here in Calgary, Alberta) and see if he can help me out because he has incubators.

Anyways, anything I need to do? Do temp or humidity need to be raised?

Any help appreciated because I am 100% new egg sacs, etc.

Mark
Assuming that the temperature and humidity are at acceptable values for that species, and that you are going to use an incubator as mentioned above, then I wouldn't change too much.

There have been a few posts concerning this species and eggsacs in the last week or so. Some of them had detailed info. Take a look through some of them.

Hope this helps
John

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Mark!
Congratulations! :) If I had a virtual cigar, I'd give you one..Wait..that's for when they are born..
Peace,
Gillian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
temp is a controlled 76-80 and humidity is 50-80. If it is indeed fertile how long til i need to start worrying about getting them into proper care if i want to hatch them in an incubator?

Mark