Ughhhh

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
Okay I"m starting to regret using vasoline on my roach bins it makes it very difficult to take the frass out of the bin...

Also I'm only 13...I have like 7 bins of roaches 4 species and my mom said today NO MORE ROACHES! AND NO MORE GECKOS! (made me jump out ofmy seat when she said it) I keep everything clean I work to keep up with paying for my biz website for roaches products supplies, biz phone, etc, etc From a parents eye how do i persway them to let me buy more when I'm ready?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when you take in more $$$ than you send out it may be easier otherwise, when you turn 18 and move out you can have whatever you want!

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Who says you absolutely need to keep on expanding your collection? Enjoy what you have and learn as much as you can. Then as you get older you can keep on adding new things

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
Who says you absolutely need to keep on expanding your collection? Enjoy what you have and learn as much as you can. Then as you get older you can keep on adding new things

In that perspective I'm on board all the way but, I would enjoy to keep expanding as a feel I want to that's after I find the room, research, buy all the supplies, get a dealer for it etc etc...And my parents barley even notice them at all and I do everything totally independently.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

when you take in more $$$ than you send out it may be easier otherwise, when you turn 18 and move out you can have whatever you want!

Haha long wait in a sense, My roaches and roach supplies are bringing a bit of income but not very much.

---------- Post added 12-20-2010 at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-19-2010 at 11:24 PM ----------

Bump!!!!!!!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your best bet is to simply impress them. Sell a lot, show them your breeder feedback, make some money, and make a name for yourself. No good parent would want to stifle their child's success if that child is truly doing well and is fully capable of caring for his or her collection.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haha long wait in a sense, My roaches and roach supplies are bringing a bit of income but not very much.

---------- Post added 12-20-2010 at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-19-2010 at 11:24 PM ----------

Bump!!!!!!!
you're young so 5 years seems like an eternity... when you turn 30, you'll wonder what the rush was;)

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
you're young so 5 years seems like an eternity... when you turn 30, you'll wonder what the rush was;)

Haha I bet....its just that to me thats 5 years of expenence in this field wasted when it comes to this subtopic of roaches.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly you're lucky they let you keep many as you already do. My mother would have booted me out of the house if I told her I had hundreds of cockroaches in my bedroom. I suppose I lucked out though in a sense because I didn't get into inverts until I was 23-4ish. My wife is happily understanding but even she has her limits...I'm at 14 species of roach, 3 species of scorpion, 1 giant vinegaroon, and 1 tailless whipspider. She doesn't want me to get more but she also knows I'm passionate about what I do and accepts that.

If your parents are anything like my wife, just endlessly inundate them with positive information about the roaches and prove to them that it's a healthy and rewarding (financially and emotionally) hobby. I know that parents can be a drag but it does sound like your parents are pretty understanding and in time (with some persuasion from you) they will accept more coming in. One thing I found that helps with more space sensitive and easily creeped out individuals is to co-habitate species to save on room. Also expose them to the animals on a regular basis to get them used to seeing them as pets and not as pests. Think of it as roach therapy lol.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahaha Yeah, I told my parents that I am keeping some "beetles". They would flip if they knew it was wood roaches, just because the name "roach" sounds bad. Really, they aren't any different than beetles, so I don't feel as if I am lieing to them

Pssh

Arachnoknight
I know the feeling. My mom gave up on the bugs because she doesn't have to pay for insects anymore. She doesn't really have to pay for anything except for gas to drop off packages at the post office which is right on her way home anyways. She just gets upset because I start up all sorts of projects and tend to not clean them up.

Just listen to your parents. The more you listen the more they trust you and what not. I find that it also helps them make the descision to let you have more of whatever you want. When you whine and nag they just keep saying no allllll the time! Be mature about it and they will hopefully treat you with respect (which it sounds like they will if they have already let you get this far :))

missscarlett

Arachnopeon
As a parent, I understand the impulse to curtail what SEEMS like a huge number of purchases coming in, especially when times are hard. You haven't said WHY they feel this way, if you don't know why-that's a problem. I was most flexible with my 14 year old daughter when she showed the willingness to help with the family's finances a bit, and kept her grades up (you DO keep your grades up, right;>?). One thing that I bet would get their attention and show them that this can be more than just a hobby would be if you were to prepare and present a well-written paper or PowerPoint to something like Invertebrates Magazine (an article?), the IICE or SASI conference (a PP/paper?) if possible, or to your local Rotary Club/Chamber of Commerce/Youth of America business group!
As someone who let a Northern Water snake bite their hand to prove to the adults it wasn't a Moccasin (NOT advised!!), I understasnd and you need to be patient and realize that the journey is more important than reaching the destination (Sorry, it's a bushido-thang!). Good luck on ypur bizness, chill with your parents, and show them you're even MORE responsible than they think. Besides there's always the Christmas/Birthday list :>!-don't laugh...my husband just bought me two Avicularia diversipes :O!!

jere000

Arachnosquire
Get a job once I did my mom couldn't say no I had the money.I'm only 15 now so I still have experience with dealing with parents:D

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a job once I did my mom couldn't say no I had the money.I'm only 15 now so I still have experience with dealing with parents:D
It does help that you can find loads of great inverts out in Vegas for free. ;)
I was in Henderson like four years ago and I went to a local park at night looking for scorpions. I didn't have a black light so I didn't find any but I did find hundreds of cockroachs near some bushes (wife wouldn't let me keep them since we flew lol) and about 30 black widows on a ledge near the basketball courts. Lots of cool free stuff out there. :)

jere000

Arachnosquire
It does help that you can find loads of great inverts out in Vegas for free. ;)
I was in Henderson like four years ago and I went to a local park at night looking for scorpions. I didn't have a black light so I didn't find any but I did find hundreds of cockroachs near some bushes (wife wouldn't let me keep them since we flew lol) and about 30 black widows on a ledge near the basketball courts. Lots of cool free stuff out there. :)
It doesn't help that I only keep snakes at the moment lol.I'm thinking of picking up a P. irminia though.

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
She says "Because were not storing cockroaches" I'm a bit young for a job. I get c's and b's and she doesn't mind that.

jere000

Arachnosquire
She says "Because were not storing cockroaches" I'm a bit young for a job. I get c's and b's and she doesn't mind that.
I still get good grades.Although my mom may be a bit more "old school" you could say.lol so if i don't bring home the good grades well you know.:D

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Okay I"m starting to regret using vasoline on my roach bins it makes it very difficult to take the frass out of the bin...
http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2871A

Try this, there simply is nothing better.

From a parents eye how do i persway them to let me buy more when I'm ready?
Umm, you don't. They are your parents and you respect there wishes. The only thing you can do is show them you are responsible for your space and self and to do good in school particularly the sciences. Turn your hobby for bugs into something they think you will be doing for a living and they might even buy some for you.

Cheers,

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2871A

Try this, there simply is nothing better.

Umm, you don't. They are your parents and you respect there wishes. The only thing you can do is show them you are responsible for your space and self and to do good in school particularly the sciences. Turn your hobby for bugs into something they think you will be doing for a living and they might even buy some for you.

Cheers,
In my science classes I have all B's a 88 and a 82

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a little add, i would over emphasize what travis said, as well as the math. I'm doing a minor right now, and you need those. chemistry, biology and maths up to calculus. sometimes you can get away with statistics, but i think thats much more boring.

keep up the good work, study hard and work on your buisness when you can.