ugh a. avi.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been having the hardest time with a avis frist i got a baby and it died now i find my 1" dead, and it was in the middle of a molt... this is making me sad... I am not going to get another one of these guys for a long time... I love them to death and they are soo sweet but for now I am going to wait, and start getting brachys.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sorry to hear

bracys are pretty tough, so i don't think you will run into problems with them.

also, avics seem to tend to toughen up as they get bigger so maybe if you want to go try them again later you could get a little bigger dude

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, avi slings are a bit more fragile than brachys. still, i lost only one or two so far (out of seceral dozen). the secret is: keep them dry with loads of ventilation and offer them water (mist the walls) twice a week. they need lots of internal hydration, but they quickly die of bad air/mould in the book lungs.

it's easier with bigger specimen, why don't you get a juvie or adult?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been having the hardest time with a avis frist i got a baby and it died now i find my 1" dead, and it was in the middle of a molt... this is making me sad... I am not going to get another one of these guys for a long time... I love them to death and they are soo sweet but for now I am going to wait, and start getting brachys.
if you don't mind me asking, how new are you to the hobby?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm so sorry!!!! *hug* It does just happen, with all kinds of slings, not just avics, although they do seem more prone to it.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That may be the problem.. G. rosea are kept TOTALLY different to Avics... Avics like it a lot more humid, and the majority of deaths in avics are during moulting, when its not quite humid enough and things go wrong. G. rosea like it dry..

Brachypelma species are kept the same as G. rosea. Dry, with an open water dish. No need for spraying/misting etc Easy peasy :D Also... they're great to look at! Just beware of the urticating hairs!
Good examples are:
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma bohemi
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma emilia

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No need to give up on avics, but as mentioned, a larger one may be hardier. Just a note of caution abt the humidity advice. Adequate, or more than adequate ventilation is a must.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not giving up on them just waiting, I am thinking about waiting untill fall when I go to a reptile show, and getting a bigger one there.... haha and I know about a avis... no need to put it like I have no clue what I am doing, I read so much befor I buy something, just to make sure I can take care of it right.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
... no need to put it like I have no clue what I am doing, I read so much befor I buy something, just to make sure I can take care of it right.
I don't think anyone is implying that at all, Yuki, just going with the flow of the thread Glad you research before you purchase!

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think anyone is implying that at all, Yuki, just going with the flow of the thread Glad you research before you purchase!
Yeah that is true, and that is for everybody, we must be informed before to purchase some T, and can offer them a good enclosure.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry about that... haha I was just in a pissy mood not really mad