U.K. based keepers - 8000ml PET jars

YoungBrowner

Arachnopeon
Hi all.

I've decided to upload a few pictures of these new PET jars we've found. They're a U.K. based company, so this will only really be pertinent to U.K. tarantula/arachnid hobbyists, I think.

I know the biggest jars most use for juvenile to SA (depending on species size) arboreal and fossorial tarantulas are the 4.5lt/4500ml ones commonly found.
Well, we've found a supplier that sells these 8000ml ones. They allow significantly more surface area internally for your Ts, non toxic, they're taller, and the neck is 127mm, so wider and allowing easier access than the 4500ml ones. They're of a really good quality, too. Crystal clear with really strong lids.

I've put a few pictures on for comparison, and will put some more on here once I've set them up. (Please note - the 4500ml jar in the images has nothing in it, it once had a jumping spider in there that was a study specimen at the University I work for).

They're a bit pricier than the 4.5s most are using, but I believe they're a better option for an arboreal/fossorial spider than the 4500s.

They can be found here: https://ampulla.co.uk/shop/plastic/...clear-plastic-jar-power-packer-127mm-ihs-cap/

Hope you're all well.

Attachments

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi all.

I've decided to upload a few pictures of these new PET jars we've found. They're a U.K. based company, so this will only really be pertinent to U.K. tarantula/arachnid hobbyists, I think.

I know the biggest jars most use for juvenile to SA (depending on species size) arboreal and fossorial tarantulas are the 4.5lt/4500ml ones commonly found.
Well, we've found a supplier that sells these 8000ml ones. They allow significantly more surface area internally for your Ts, non toxic, they're taller, and the neck is 127mm, so wider and allowing easier access than the 4500ml ones. They're of a really good quality, too. Crystal clear with really strong lids.

I've put a few pictures on for comparison, and will put some more on here once I've set them up. (Please note - the 4500ml jar in the images has nothing in it, it once had a jumping spider in there that was a study specimen at the University I work for).

They're a bit pricier than the 4.5s most are using, but I believe they're a better option for an arboreal/fossorial spider than the 4500s.

They can be found here: https://ampulla.co.uk/shop/plastic/...clear-plastic-jar-power-packer-127mm-ihs-cap/

Hope you're all well.
You can just buy plastic sweet jars online for under £3.

YoungBrowner

Arachnopeon
You can just buy plastic sweet jars online for under £3.
Oh of course, absolutely, that's what the jar in the middle is for comparison. That was purchased in a pack of 3 for £10 from amazon.
I've only moved on to these 8000ml ones for the extra depth and surface area for my bigger burrowing and arboreal juveniles, although that being said, I'll probably be putting all of my fossorial/arboreals in these from juvenile to Sub Adult, to minimise on the frequency of rehousings I have to carry out, if that makes sense?

The 4.5 litre sweet jars (as in my picture for comparison) are fine but I would usually go from a small 500ml SUNPET jar for fossorial/arboreal slings, and then through 2 - 3 more rehousings along the way to adulthood. I'm hoping these will cut down on that.
Time will tell, but I'll update this post as time goes and let everyone know how this theory works out.

Cheers buddy, hope you're well lad.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh of course, absolutely, that's what the jar in the middle is for comparison. That was purchased in a pack of 3 for £10 from amazon.
I've only moved on to these 8000ml ones for the extra depth and surface area for my bigger burrowing and arboreal juveniles, although that being said, I'll probably be putting all of my fossorial/arboreals in these from juvenile to Sub Adult, to minimise on the frequency of rehousings I have to carry out, if that makes sense?

The 4.5 litre sweet jars (as in my picture for comparison) are fine but I would usually go from a small 500ml SUNPET jar for fossorial/arboreal slings, and then through 2 - 3 more rehousings along the way to adulthood. I'm hoping these will cut down on that.
Time will tell, but I'll update this post as time goes and let everyone know how this theory works out.

Cheers buddy, hope you're well lad.
I've never got on with these types of jar because of the lids. Have always felt restrictive.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
What I'd really like to find are large square plastic tubs with screw to lids.