U hairs on sweat shirt?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So today my dad looked down at his arms and realized his arms had broken out in hives. Before that he had touched the sweat shirt I was wearing. Later that day i patted my hands on my sweatshirt and instantly my hands looked like the skin on it was dying and it itched. The itch went away after a few seconds but the dead skin look stayed for about an hour. I soon made the connection and went to get my microscope. Infortunetly due to the microscope being cheap I couldn't focus it. Could these possibly be u hairs.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Were you wearing the shirt when you were doing some cleaning of a hair filled enclosure or while handling a hard core flicker?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Were you wearing the shirt when you were doing some cleaning of a hair filled enclosure or while handling a hard core flicker?
Ya I think while I was working in my theraphosa stirmi's cage. I'm always wearing a sweat shirt so maybe I just have to stop doing chemistry experiment in it.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Hair is hair (no matter the source). If it's on your shirt...it can still affect you or someone who touches your shirt.

If you're sensitive, I'd suggest something like a lab coat...something you wear over your clothes while cleaning the T's cage or otherwise dealing with them. Doesn't have to be anything fancy...just an old over-sized shirt would do it.

When you're done cleaning...shake it out really good (outside and down-wind) and then launder.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hair is hair (no matter the source). If it's on your shirt...it can still affect you or someone who touches your shirt.

If you're sensitive, I'd suggest something like a lab coat...something you wear over your clothes while cleaning the T's cage or otherwise dealing with them. Doesn't have to be anything fancy...just an old over-sized shirt would do it.

When you're done cleaning...shake it out really good (outside and down-wind) and then launder.
I don't know iv never had a problem with hairs. The reason I ask is because I had such a bad reaction.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I don't know iv never had a problem with hairs. The reason I ask is because I had such a bad reaction.
...could well be you're developing allergies. If so, you need to manage them now before it gets so bad you have to get rid of your Ts...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Learned this one the hard way. Now I have a couple of long sleeve shirts that basically function as hair smocks for when i'm spiderin'. I also have latex gloves for dealing with urty substrate, etc and I always, always wash up after working with urties.

Want a bad day? Handle your B. smithi and then go have a pee without washing your hands. Won't do that twice...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I second what Rue said. If you do a search on urticating hair, a common theme will arise where people state they didn't start out allergic to the hairs, but developed a high sensitivity to them over time. This is true with most allergies in general. People generally aren't born with them. They develop over a series of exposures.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Want a bad day? Handle your B. smithi and then go have a pee without washing your hands. Won't do that twice...
OUCH! I've become super sensitive to Brachypelma U-hairs over the years (just as Big Dragonfly described) and reading this made my eyes water :eek:.

Rue

Arachnoknight
...I shouldn't laugh...but I can just imagine what the doctor would say if you needed to book an appointment...:D