Typical Noob Question (Sorry)

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
So, while giving my b.albo sling his nightly pinhead lat for dinner, I somehow managed to stick my finger through the little mesh circle at the top of the enclosure. :banghead:

I pushed the mesh back into the groove, and while I've never seen him anywhere outside his burrow, I'm entirely paranoid that he's somehow going to manage to escape. The mesh still feels a little weak on that side. Is there an at home fix or should I just replace the mesh thing? And if so...where on earth do I get them??
IMG_4507.JPG

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would change the enclosure entirely, as B. albo is a terrestrial species. They need floorspace, not height the way arboreals do. How big is the sling? That might let us suggest an appropriate container.

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
I would change the enclosure entirely, as B. albo is a terrestrial species. They need floorspace, not height the way arboreals do. How big is the sling? That might let us suggest an appropriate container.
The container was labeled for terrestrial so I figured it was ok :astonished:

He's just a little thing. Maybe 1/2 inch or so.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The container was labeled for terrestrial so I figured it was ok :astonished:

He's just a little thing. Maybe 1/2 inch or so.
Cool. I have a 3/4" one myself. Very entertaining little guy/girl.

At 1/2 an inch, most people would probably recommend either a little condiment cup (for ketchup etc) or a vial, like this:

Not sure if yours is like this, but mine loves to dig tunnels.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That appears to one of Jamie's Tarantula's arboreal/terrestrial sling boxes. it will be fine for that small of a spiderling. you can take the lid of and hot glue the screen back in place

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
Cool. I have a 3/4" one myself. Very entertaining little guy/girl.

At 1/2 an inch, most people would probably recommend either a little condiment cup (for ketchup etc) or a vial, like this:

Not sure if yours is like this, but mine loves to dig tunnels.
Oh, he was shipped in one of those. I could just put him in there then!

Oh yes, he's made a big burrow and cavern down at the bottom. Very active little thing!
IMG_4625.JPG IMG_4627.JPG

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The container is a little on the large side for a half inch sling, but if it's already got a burrow in there, I might leave it in there, as it will probably molt soon anyway. It does look like it's set up for a terrestrial, but the tall container made me think otherwise in the original photo. Looks like you're doing a fine job, although I might suggest not feeding it on a nightly basis. Most slings that size will fill up pretty quickly, and then sit around waiting to molt. Most people here feed 2-3 times a week at that size.

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
That appears to one of Jamie's Tarantula's arboreal/terrestrial sling boxes. it will be fine for that small of a spiderling. you can take the lid of and hot glue the screen back in place
Yes, it is! I don't have a hot glue gun at the moment, so should I just sit a larger container over it to be safe until I can go get one in the morning?

I'd like to keep him in that just because he's spent so much time on all of his little tunnels :( But if he really would be better off in the tube, then ill pop him on over to it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
He'll be fine where he is. Now that I can see inside the container, it's set up well for a terrestrial. I'd just leave him in there since he is already established. Definitely good to fix the lid ASAP though. If a half inch sling escapes, it's very difficult to ever find.

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
The container is a little on the large side for a half inch sling, but if it's already got a burrow in there, I might leave it in there, as it will probably molt soon anyway. It does look like it's set up for a terrestrial, but the tall container made me think otherwise in the original photo. Looks like you're doing a fine job, although I might suggest not feeding it on a nightly basis. Most slings that size will fill up pretty quickly, and then sit around waiting to molt. Most people here feed 2-3 times a week at that size.
Oh good! He worked so hard on his tunnels I would have felt bad just to have it go to waste.

I did skip his feeding yesterday simply because I fell asleep, but had been giving one nightly. I'll slack off a bit! Thanks for all your help :D