typical behavior?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ok...my first stupid newbie question about scorp behavior :)
Our P emperator female continued the burrow I started for her, and now she finished it. Yesterday, she sealed herself in completely.
I am wondering if they seal their burrow during the day, then come out at night, or might there possibly be another reason?
(molting, gravid female etc)
She is an adult (I think) so I can't imagine her molting, and she's not THAT fat either.
Anyway, just wondering if I should still put prey in there or not, and if this is typical P emperator behavior
thanks!

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My old emperor would do that often, and I dont' think it's intentional. I thin that sometimes the substrate just falls in. Either way, I had to dig her out whenever it happened, otherwise she would remain stuck.:?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
From the scorps I have had; it has almost always meant that they were about to molt...these include both the desert and the jungle species...though I have had on a few occasions a scorp seal itself in for a few days to a week...never was sure why though.

I have theorized that it may have to do with regulating their humidity but they usually indicate that they need more when they sit next to or in the water dish.

John
];')

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Kug...you the man :)
I've got her setup exactly like Dave said to, so the humidity is quite high. She started digging like there was no tomorrow, and now seems quite content to sit in there.
I'll check on her at midnight to see if she decided to come out :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I followed Dave's advice too... now I never see my emp's. Thanks Dave!

:D

At least they're happy.

Botar

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
That means they are happy Botar. :D

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Holley,

If your emp moults then publish! There is no way a scorp that size should still be moulting. Gravid is a much better possibility, as is "I'm a quirky scorpion and I'll do whatever I please."

Charles,

No worries. :D

Cheers,
Dave