Typhochlaena seladonia

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Anyone have any experience or insight into Typhochlaena seladonia?
I remember seeing a picture of one a few years ago and thinking it looked like a beautifully colourful gummy sweet!!
I've wanted one ever since (purely kid in a sweet shop reasons!) although haven't ever looked into its husbandry or needs... Never thought I'd see one for sale <edit>! Got £89 to spare?!!!! 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
89 - buy 5!

I talked to a few members who own them. They are a bit more challenging. I suspect in part because very little is known about their life in the wild.

I can't remember the other person's name who owns them. He had about 5, and I think 3 died. This was a few years ago when virtually no one had them. He keeps plants in w/his to maintain humidity. Not sure if Mariana's are sensitive to humidity.

If you search for pics you'll find me asking her quite a bit of questions. Search for her name, that is faster.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Give them lichen and a hole and you're good.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's the person who had them, he's very knowledgeable on this species and other animals. @wizentrop He's one of few people on here with a degree in entomology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby T

Arachnoknight
89 - buy 5!

I talked to a few members who own them. They are a bit more challenging. I suspect in part because very little is known about their life in the wild.

I can't remember the other person's name who owns them. He had about 5, and I think 3 died. This was a few years ago when virtually no one had them. He keeps plants in w/his to maintain humidity. Not sure if Mariana's are sensitive to humidity.

If you search for pics you'll find me asking her quite a bit of questions. Search for her name, that is faster.
Buy 5 you say!! 🤘

As much as I find them adorable the thought of spending that much on a sling makes me feel a bit sick!!
I'd love to just know more about them.

I've never seen anyone speak of them on AB. I guess they're pretty unique to the hobby?

I will search, thank you

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Buy 5 you say!! 🤘

As much as I find them adorable the thought of spending that much on a sling makes me feel a bit sick!!

I've never seen anyone speak of them on AB. I guess they're pretty unique to the hobby?

I will search, thank you
They are extremely RARE in the hobby. Also if you don't like small Ts, stop now. AFs max out at 2" if I recall correctly. Yep, when it comes to species we don't know much about, always get a bunch. I know that price is a lot there, but in the USA, they go for much more.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Here's the person who had them, he's very knowledgeable on this species and other animals. @wizentrop He's one of few people on here with a degree in entomology.
Magic. TY

They are extremely RARE in the hobby. Also if you don't like small Ts, stop now. AFs max out at 2" if I recall correctly. Yep, when it comes to species we don't know much about, always get a bunch. I know that price is a lot there, but in the USA, they go for much more.
Oh I thought you were joking when you said buy 5!!!

I love small Ts. Have a couple of dwarfs. Wondered if this thread might spark your interest actually

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I thought you were joking when you said buy 5!!!

I love small Ts. Have a couple of dwarfs. Wondered if this thread might spark your interest actually
Love the dwarfs, and love this species. Def. not joking, if I lived in EU my collection would be larger, due to such cheap prices. 89 is SUPER cheap. Here they would be anywhere from 200-600$ depending on who sells them.

There's a number of cool species (common here too) that are less than 10 Euros, not here...they are usually 25-65$, In fact, there's a larger vendor selling A purpurea SLINGS for about 85-100$, which is a crappy price. Those should never be that much money.

Gil is a wealth of information, all scientists are http://gilwizen.com/

Mariana is a wealth of detailed observations. I've asked her plenty of questions. Between the 2 of them, you'll learn quite a bit. I certainly did on this species.

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I paid $200 USD for a sling that I had for 7 months or so before it died. That was by far the cheapest I had ever seen one for sale. It had a water dish, but I found it in a death curl in it’s trapdoor from what appeared to be dehydration. It only molted once in that time. Getting it to build the trapdoor is key, so I highly recommend researching that. Lost of ventilation is necessary, possibly one of the only species that I would misting, as mine died shortly after I stopped misting.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Love the dwarfs, and love this species. Def. not joking, if I lived in EU my collection would be larger, due to such cheap prices. 89 is SUPER cheap. Here they would be anywhere from 200-600$ depending on who sells them.

There's a number of cool species (common here too) that are less than 10 Euros, not here...they are usually 25-65$, In fact, there's a larger vendor selling A purpurea SLINGS for about 85-100$, which is a crappy price. Those should never be that much money.

Gil is a wealth of information, all scientists are http://gilwizen.com/
Hmmm now I REALLY want one!!! I guess it would be risky at best to just buy one though? I have no experience with breeding so buying more for that purpose would be pointless...

Crazy prices you're saying there. Would you ever buy one?

I paid $200 USD for a sling that I had for 7 months or so before it died. That was by far the cheapest I had ever seen one for sale. It had a water dish, but I found it in a death curl in it’s trapdoor from what appeared to be dehydration. It only molted once in that time. Getting it to build the trapdoor is key, so I highly recommend researching that. Lost of ventilation is necessary, possibly one of the only species that I would misting, as mine died shortly after I stopped misting.
Sorry for your loss... Sounds like a real challenge to care for.
I'll definitely research a lot but I may have too tight a wallet right now!
Thanks for the insight

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm now I REALLY want one!!! I guess it would be risky at best to just buy one though? I have no experience with breeding so buying more for that purpose would be pointless...

Crazy prices you're saying there. Would you ever buy one?

Sorry for your loss... Sounds like a real challenge to care for.
I'll definitely research a lot but I may have too tight a wallet right now!
Thanks for the insight
I have never spent more than 85$ on a sling.

I usually don’t pay more than 40$, Ts aren’t worth that much to me. Relative to my main animals interests they are very boring.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
I have never spent more than 85$ on a sling.

I usually don’t pay more than 40$, Ts aren’t worth that much to me. Relative to my main animals interests they are very boring.
Fair enough. I know you're a rep keeper...

Appreciate your input all the same. £89 is a lot of money to me right now! I certainly will do some serious reading on this little gem all the same.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fair enough. I know you're a rep keeper...

Appreciate your input all the same. £89 is a lot of money to me right now! I certainly will do some serious reading on this little gem all the same.
If you get one or two post pics and your observations.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
They can be really finicky. I made it awhile without any deaths but eventually it did happen. I have a few females now though that are almost adults and seem hardier.

I’m by far no expert. I’d love to eventually make a care guide but to be honest it’s mainly trying things and seeing what works. First thing is they live with high temps and humidity. Typically with Ts we say it doesn’t matter but I noticed with mine that they didn’t grow without extra heat. 8+ months without a molt isn’t normal for a tropical arboreal Aviculariinae sling. But I see people say all the time that their slings aren’t molting. Anyway, I keep them around 76-81F. Mine molt every 6-9 weeks...even now that they are almost adults. So I do think temps are important. I keep the soil moist and I mist also, but enclosure has good ventilation. I actually feed them prekilled too. It’s just easier to slip a dead cricket under their door than try to keep watch and hope the cricket doesn’t hide. If it doesn’t directly touch their door, they aren’t going to eat. I skipped fruit flies altogether, the slings aren’t that small when compared to other dwarfs and pinhead crickets were just fine. And in my opinion have better nutrition.

Let me know if you have any particular questions. I have kept a whole little journal about them.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
They can be really finicky. I made it awhile without any deaths but eventually it did happen. I have a few females now though that are almost adults and seem hardier.

I’m by far no expert. I’d love to eventually make a care guide but to be honest it’s mainly trying things and seeing what works. First thing is they live with high temps and humidity. Typically with Ts we say it doesn’t matter but I noticed with mine that they didn’t grow without extra heat. 8+ months without a molt isn’t normal for a tropical arboreal Aviculariinae sling. But I see people say all the time that their slings aren’t molting. Anyway, I keep them around 76-81F. Mine molt every 6-9 weeks...even now that they are almost adults. So I do think temps are important. I keep the soil moist and I mist also, but enclosure has good ventilation. I actually feed them prekilled too. It’s just easier to slip a dead cricket under their door than try to keep watch and hope the cricket doesn’t hide. If it doesn’t directly touch their door, they aren’t going to eat. I skipped fruit flies altogether, the slings aren’t that small when compared to other dwarfs and pinhead crickets were just fine. And in my opinion have better nutrition.

Let me know if you have any particular questions. I have kept a whole little journal about them.
Hi!

Thanks so much for the info...

I think my main issue would be keeping them at the right temperature. Temps are all over the place in the UK. Last year we had literally months of sun and this year, we're still seeing frost at night now.
Would you suggest a space heater? I don't generally use them for the Ts I have now, they do slow down a bit during colder months re growth wise but apart from that they're fine.

Also what's the life expectancy of a male V female?

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Hi!

Thanks so much for the info...

I think my main issue would be keeping them at the right temperature. Temps are all over the place in the UK. Last year we had literally months of sun and this year, we're still seeing frost at night now.
Would you suggest a space heater? I don't generally use them for the Ts I have now, they do slow down a bit during colder months re growth wise but apart from that they're fine.

Also what's the life expectancy of a male V female?
A male is going to be 1-4 years depending on how fast they grow. A male with my temps would probably mature in a year. But I have no idea with females. I’d guess 7-15 years. I haven’t had a female die of old age so I can’t say for sure.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Buy 5 you say!! 🤘

I will search, thank you
I have 5. An AF and 4 slings.
Lichen, starter hole in Cork and other leaf or moss debri works well. Plenty of ventilation and high (ish) humidity but apart from that, I have not done anything more special than that. I keep mine on the top shelves in the spider house so temps about 24/25.
Some pics to wet the appetite. Ha ha
20210505_192430.jpg 20210505_192352.jpg 20210505_192253.jpg

Baby T

Arachnoknight
I have 5. An AF and 4 slings.
Lichen, starter hole in Cork and other leaf or moss debri works well. Plenty of ventilation and high (ish) humidity but apart from that, I have not done anything more special than that. I keep mine on the top shelves in the spider house so temps about 24/25.
Some pics to wet the appetite. Ha ha
View attachment 384317 View attachment 384318 View attachment 384319
Wow she's gorgeous 😍 is it rare to see her out?

I'm still very much 50/50 at the moment... I feel like it should be a purchase of more than one but I've just left my job so treats such as a £90 sling are are a bit frowned upon in my house!!