Typhochlaena seladonia

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Good luck with your investments guys, would be incredible to have sustained captive breeding of these guys here in the states.:)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I seriously considered it, but that's a lot of money and with me switching careers right now, I just can't be as free with my spending as before. I'll wait until the first US captive bred babies arrive. Y'all better get on that!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck with your investments guys, would be incredible to have sustained captive breeding of these guys here in the states.:)
If the slings are affordable of course. Right now they are too high priced for most people, esp for a species we know very little about. I hope the owners can keep them alive, let alone breed them. If they turn out to be another P met, it may take a while to figure out how to breed them.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
If the slings are affordable of course. Right now they are too high priced for most people, esp for a species we know very little about. I hope the owners can keep them alive, let alone breed them. If they turn out to be another P met, it may take a while to figure out how to breed them.
What's unique about breeding P. metallica? Eh, I don't think keeping them alive is going to turn out to be difficult or require any special circumstances. It is just another T, after all they are all pretty darn similar in care.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Beautiful little spiders, but they are TINY...I read somewhere they get around 1,5cm body length, is that correct?
Re: tarantula being similar in care...euhm..not really. I'm pretty sure my Gbb would not be happy in my E.murinus set up, or the other way around...

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thus far they have thrived and survived a few molt's and have been doing very well. Sure slings are always a risk and if that risk is not for you pass and let those that are willing to take the risk and be the first to have this beautiful specie give it a go.
Hey Joe,

So are these not 2nd instar slings that are being offered ? I'm confused now. It seems crazy for a small species to have .5" second instar slings. I guess its possible. Unless if you are saying they have molted a few times? That makes more sense to me at least, but then how small were they when they hatched?

Pretty spiders, maybe next time ;)

Later, Tom

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's unique about breeding P. metallica?
They weren't easy to crack. Subtle nuances, that my friend figured out, as he was the first in the USA to breed them. He knows, not I, I just remember the gist of the convo. There is information on this board about it.

Nature always surprises me. I'd like to say owner X will propagate them and do well. But I cannot predict the future, nor are all Ts kept the same way. You may do great, then again you may be posting "Help my Sling is dead". With so little known about them, I don't put a guarantee on their husbandry. Anyone that does is a fool.

I have a very rare species right now, and I'm in the same boat as you. I make no assumptions, nor should you Mr. Just Another T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I made my comment comedic but it is more of me just being hopeful
I hope you are right, but too hopeful I think. We haven't seen that happen as the original owners always want to get back the money they put into the original stock (logical), and as with most small Ts, their sac sizes are small. The sacs often range from 20-60 for a variety of small species. I expect this one to be no exception.

The other bit of info to learn is how prolific are they? I don't expect them to be very prolific, but I hope I'm wrong.