Tx. Yellow Scorpion?

Evol

Arachnopeon
I attended the Winnipeg reptile expo today and I purchased some new friends, among them is a small scorpion that was labeled Tx. Yellow Scorpion, does anyone know what the scientific name for this could be?

I will try and get a picture taken later tonight when I am at home.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like Centruroides exilicauda to me. but im not nearly an expert ...or even an experianced keeper lol Not sure about them being in Texas tho... all ive ever seen is vitattus but theres suposed to be others here

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

Its definitely not C. sculpturatus. It looks like a Vaejovis sp. to me, possibly V. confusus.

Cheers,
Ryan

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are a lot of Vaejovis from Texas. But Ryan is right, it's not C. sculpturatus. There range isn't that far east I thought.

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are a lot of Vaejovis from Texas. But Ryan is right, it's not C. sculpturatus. There range isn't that far east I thought.

Mike
Your right, the range isn't that far. Not to mention that looks nothing like a buthid, short, fat metasomal segments immediately would indicate it's not a Centruroides, which is the only other genus in TX besides vaejovis. (I believe, but theres not many others if I'm wrong). Also, red tips on the 'plaps 99% of the time scream Vaejovidae.

This specimen looks heavily gravid. If you have not done so I would give it about 3 to 4 inches of sand and peat, and very accessiable hide. These scorpions will dig a deeper than usual scrape to accomidate the height of the slings on the back. The excess material will be used to seal off the mini burrow, do not disturb after this.

If the specimen is smaller than I am assuming, and is just molting, it will also seal off the scrape. But the membrane of this species is thin enough to where you can see the slings inside. Good luck,
Ed

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ps if those are woodchips you picked up from the front yard flower bed, mulch is usually treated with pesticides and is chemically dyed.:eek:

Evol

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info, I will change the substrate to a peat sand mix. In there now I have a mix of some eco earth and repti bark.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, I will change the substrate to a peat sand mix. In there now I have a mix of some eco earth and repti bark.
That could be fine also, especially if it was locally collected down there. The trick is to make sure it's fairly dry, and sand helps keep it that way. As long as it's dry you can get away with that, but you can also just remove the scorpion and fold in some sand into the exsisting substrate with your hand.