tx desert scorps

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure about a few species here. The first pic is of a scorp that I've been calling Diplocentrus lindo. The second was found about 100 miles away. A second scorp found in the same area looked the same. 3 others like in the first pic and found in the same area looked the same as the one in the first pic. Maybe different charatcteristics within the same species but evolved in different areas? The Chela look pretty diff. The next two pics are of tiny scorps found south of Alpine. One definitely looks like a diplo but, what about the other one with the darker chela and dark last tail segment? And finally, D. whitei.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, great find on that second one, very unique looking palps. Looks like it got some hail damage this year:)

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The first one does appear to be D. lindo. The 2nd looks look another D. whitei to me. And the 2nd to last one is a Vaejovis waueri, an adult at that. I have no clue on the 3rd one. I've probably got one of those wrong though.

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

Kind of confusing reading your post but based on the pictures provided and the size of the specimens/sexual dimorphism the list is as follows.

Adult D. lindo female
Adult D. lindo male
Inmature D. lindo
Adult V. waueri
Adult D. whitei

Where were the specimens in the first two photos collected?

Inmature Diplocentrus are light brown in color and don't show sexual dimorphic characters in the pedipalp chela, ie. reticulation and carinae size, until maturity has been maintained which may take many years. Compare the smoothness or roughness in the pedipalp chela.

D. lindo are small compared to D. whitei as adults but populations near the pecos river tend to have larger body size than the Fort Davis/Alpine (mountain) populations. D. whitei aren't found in Alpine or northward. Terlinqua Ranch for example in the more desert areas of the Trans-Pecos.

Enough rambling from my side and hope this helps.

Take Care,

Chad

P.S. Check the website for distribution data and literature sources for more reading.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow:clap: TX has some really great scorps,i'm likeing TX more and more,thanks for sharing.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Galapheros, we ought to set up a trip out to the Big Bend/Davis Mountains area. I know Graham likes to go out that way. Have you seen the thread in the Arachnofunctions section about a Texas group?

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can u show me on google map exactly where u found that last one, cause i will drive out there to catch a grip of them, that has got to be one of the coolest scorps i've ever seen, i LOVE them

or would u be will to sell him?