Two Quick Centipede Questions

Steaminpies

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I have a couple centipede related questions. I'm considering buying a centipede whenever I order inverts again but don't want a species which can get very big. I've looked into California polymorpha variants, Rhysida longipes, Scolopendra viridis and Hemiscolopendra marginata and am also looking into some more sizeable species, now. Those who have kept both species, how would you say S. morsitans and S. cingulata compare in size? Which of the two get smaller or are their maximum sizes close enough that the difference is negligible when deciding between the two? My second question is regarding genus Hemiscolopendra and whether or not any species range may enter New York. As I said I'd like my next invert order to include a centipede, but don't really know when that will be. I've collected a Scolopocryptops sp. and Lithobius forficatus and figured I might be able to find a Hemiscolopendra next year to temporarily satisfy my desire for a more substantial pede. Marginata is the only species with immediate information on Google and many of the range maps and descriptions of it claim it extends into Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania. Was wondering if there were other species which might have a more northerly range or if marginata is about the furthest north Hemiscolopendra will encroach?

Last edited:

vexhex89

Arachnopeon
I know tiger centipedes (Scolopendra polymorpha) are usually recommended as “beginner” species and they are on the smaller size.